"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 6 September 2011

musical memories and whatever will bob dylan's reply to sinead o'connor be?


This was one of those days that you would never forget - 1 June 2005 -  Nicky and I were in London together staying with Gareth (he was there on his 2 year working visa).  Mom, Dalene and I had finished off a 2 week road trip with David (and Gareth and Matthew (gap year in Bristol)) celebrating Dave's 30th birthday.  As Dalene flew out, Nicky flew in from Cape Town. We had bought tickets online in April to "Dire Straits live at the Royal Albert Hall" and we were taking Dave and Gareth there as a treat.  Nicky and I had a week in London, a week in Bristol with Matthew and another week in Ireland.  Dire Straits had always been a favourite of both of ours and to see them at this venue was amazing.  Romeo and Juliet is one of my bestest ever songs and to hear it live in the Royal Albert Hall is something I will always remember.  


These days is it pretty easy to re-live these moments - thanks YouTube:-


Yes, we were there.  I remember the awful shirt (although our seats were up on 
the top balcony)


Some of the words:-

When you can fall for chains of silver, 
You can fall for chains of gold,
You can fall for pretty strangers 
And the promises they hold.
You promised me everything, you promised me thick and thin, yeah!
Now you just say, "Oh Romeo? Yeah, you know I used to have a scene with him".

Juliet, when we made love, you used to cry.
You said, "I love you like the stars above, I'll love you 'til I die".
There's a place for us, you know the movie song.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?

I can't do the talk, like the talk on TV
And I can't do a love song, like the way it's meant to be.
I can't do everything, but I'll do anything for you.
I can't do anything, 'cept be in love with you!
And all I do is miss you and the way we used to be.
All I do is keep the beat... and bad company.
Now all I do is kiss you through the bars of a rhyme,
Juliet, I'd do the stars with you any time!

Juliet, when we made love you used to cry.
You said, "I love you like the stars above, I'll love you 'til I die".
There's a place for us, you know the movie song.
When you gonna realize it was just that the time was wrong, Juliet?

NARRATOR:
And a love-struck Romeo sings a street-suss serenade
Laying everybody low with a lovesong that he made
Finds a convenient streetlight, steps out of the shade
He says something like, "You and me babe, how about it?"

ROMEO:
You and me babe, how about it?
With brother Dave and Nicky and showing off a "Friends" bag we had bought for
Dalene at Camden Town earlier in that day


I heard a while back about a tour that Bob Dylan and Mark Knopfler are doing together (starting in Dublin on 6 October).  They have worked together before on Slow Train Coming and Knopfler produced Infidels.  Knopfler is also recording one of Bob's songs for the Amnesty International 50th anniversary album to mark Bob's 70th birthday (bet it will be Knocking on Heavens Door because, I think, Dylan likes his version best of everybody who has ever tried to do it justice - don't quote me, I made that up).
Last night I read an article in the Huffington Post. (good celeb skinner paper), and came across a letter that Sinead O'Connor (remember her) apparently has written to Bob Dylan.  She talks about singing "Licence to Kill" with both of them (actually they must play and she will sing).

I know only the die-hard Dylan fans will like this link so I won't put it up but here is the link if you want to listen (actually on trying I could not put it up - only YouTube links on Blogspot (which is irritating me and giving hassles this week)).  http://tu.tv/videos/knopfler-y-dylan-license-to-kill


I tried to check up to see whether the letter below is true and it seems that it is.  It also seems to me, that dear Sinead has lost the plot (that is what happens if you upset the Pope) completely:-


Here is the letter:-


Dear Bob
Three questions:
1. Please can I sing "Licence to Kill" with you and Mark Knopfler when you play together in Dublin in October? Infidels is my favorite album ever and I'm quite a good singer. Even if I do say so myself.
Being selfish and a demanding diva, I was hoping you and Mark would play and I would sing... wearing a minuscule army camouflage teeny-keeny... (not really... all of this would be strictly kosher).
2. Can I be your harmonica? I am asking this, because I really want to be your harmonica. But I promise to behave, unless you don't. And if I can't be good...
3. In the event my dying wish (see question #2) can't come true, can you perhaps introduce me to any un-attached Zimmerman men from 44-years-old on?
You have set an unreachable standard in me... for what a man really is.
I am assuming, of course, that you would never be interested in one so 'insane' as to write you a love letter, and am also assuming you must be well covered with women...
I promise I'm slightly prettier than in the ABC News split screen of before and after... I was having a bad hair day.
Hugh Hefner has now offered me a million dollars to do the cover of Playboy -- every girl's dream. This is because I am monumentally gorgeous. Contrary to popular belief based on zero recent 'sightings.'
I will implore the equally 'lurve-starved' ladies of influence at ABC News to sneakily switch photos so u can see me in my actual sexual gloriousness. So worry not. I'm well fit, sir.
Anyway... Please let me sing with you and Mark because that album was, is and always will be the full roots of my heart. Kisses from Jesus all over it.
Yeah and Mark's pretty delicious too... but not as much as you, obviously. But if you don't fancy a quick one, would you ever ask ol' Mark what he reckons? In the dark I think he could pretend I'm gorgeous... if I put a few bags on my head...
My preference, if you are unattainable, would be to meet your middle-aged male relatives please.
Please do respond because as L'oreal says, Bob, I'm worth it.


Sinead


This is just weird.  But I must say it would make interesting listening.  I loved her version of the Prince song - "Nothing compares to you".


My call on Bob's reply (from "Don't think twice, It's alright):-



But goodbye’s too good a word, gal

So I’ll just say fare thee well

It ain’t no use in callin’ out my name, gal
Like you never did before
It ain’t no use in callin’ out my name, gal
I can’t hear you anymore
I’m a-thinkin’ and a-wond’rin’ all the way down the road
I once loved a woman, a child I’m told
I give her my heart but she wanted my soul
But don’t think twice, it’s all right

I’m walkin’ down that long, lonesome road, babe
Where I’m bound, I can’t tell
But goodbye’s too good a word, gal
So I’ll just say fare thee well
I ain’t sayin’ you treated me unkind
You could have done better but I don’t mind
You just kinda wasted my precious time
But don’t think twice, it’s all right



No comments:

Post a Comment