"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 2 September 2011

how to be fickle on a friday





I was driving home in the traffic yesterday afternoon listening to John "Who needs Google" Maytham's show.  He was crossing to Mandela Square in Sandton to listen live to the Bok Farewell Parade.  So when I eventually got home (what is up with the traffic in Claremont lately?) I tuned in to SuperSport to watch it live.  What a pleasant surprise.  I had things to do but found myself completely "sucked in" and watching thousands of fans in green and gold singing and partying in the square.  It was pretty emotional stuff and pretty hectic watching those big guys wiping away the tears.

It was just what I needed because I have reached the stage where I would rather watch Rondebosch U10C play rugby on Saturdays instead of watching the Tri-Nations.  I am a controversial sports supporter.  Fickle is probably the word.



fick·le

  [fik-uhl]

adjective
1.
likely to change, especially due to caprice, irresolution, orinstability; casually changeable: fickle weather.
2.
not constant or loyal in affections: a fickle lover.
Origin: 
before 1000; Middle English fikel, Old English ficol  deceitful, akinto fācen  treachery, fician  to deceive, gefic  deception

fick·le·ness, noun
un·fick·le, adjective


1.  unstable, unsteady, variable, capricious, fitful. 2.  inconstant.1, 2. Fickle, inconstant, capricious, vacillating  describepersons or things that are not firm or steady in affection,behavior, opinion, or loyalty. Fickle  implies an underlyingperversity as a cause for the lack of stability: the fickle seasons,disappointing as often as they delight; once lionized, now rejectedby a fickle public. Inconstant  suggests an innate disposition tochange: an inconstant lover, flitting from affair to affair.Capricious  implies unpredictable changeability arising from suddenwhim: a capricious administration constantly and inexplicablychanging its signals; a capricious and astounding reversal ofposition. Vacillating  means changeable due to lack of resolutionor firmness: an indecisive, vacillating leader, apparently incapableof a sustained course of action. 



I support the Boks and the Proteas (most of the time).  I can't bear the All Black rugby team (but will watch Richie McCaw (closely)).  However, I will support their cricket team (just behind the Proteas and the English).  I can't bear the Australian cricket side (and there is not one side in the world I dislike more) but will always support their rugby team ahead of the All Blacks (Quade Cooper is awesome to watch).  I became a great Indian support while Gary Kirsten (I kind-of know him) was their coach but have now dropped them like a hot scone (they are seriously missing my support).   However,  England are very close to my heart and I will support them in all sports (except tennis).  Aren't their cricket team fantastic at the moment?  I love Johnny Wilkinson.  Lawrence Dallaglio is my all time favourite rugby hero (right up there in hunkiness with Victor Matfield).   Nick Faldo, Luke Donald, Rory McIlroy for golf - all great.  I also love Tiger Woods and am rooting for him to return to form (much to Michael's dismay).

My WC bet is that England and South Africa will play each other in the final (and it will be awesome and I will be happy,  no matter who wins).  I am a great fence-sitter - a fickle fence-sitter.  (Dalene says I take after my father who was always one for the underdog).   Nic is playing rugby for UCT at lunchtime tomorrow and Matt is warming the bench in Kimberley at 3.  Hopefully will get to play against all his WP friends (amazing how many Varsity Cup players are involved in that match).  This fickle WP supporter now supports Griquas so wholeheartedly she even wants WP to lose their other matches so they end up below Griquas on the log (that is a big confession - Michael and my sons (well 2 of them) are horrified).  But when WP get through and Griquas are perhaps (hopefully not) left behind I will once again wave my hooped flag.








Lawrence

victor_matfield_214x301px.jpg
Victor (for Gill and Dalene - come on girls, how many more pictures
must I show you)




Here is some stuff you will enjoy:-


Gareth's article to get some World Cup excitement going (great one Gareth)


A calendar of all the matches to download to your Outlook calendar


The official website of RWC 2011



As for the weekend.  It is Amy's birthday on Sunday.  Tomorrow she has some friends coming around (very early in the morning) and we are going to Kalk Bay by train.  (Rain rain go away)


So lots of rugby, a birthday party.  Off to bake some brownies now.  


Go Griquas!!!




PS.


I received a big spoil last week.  A laptop.  A dinky little Samsung notebook.  I love it.  I am now more sociable and can sit in the lounge and play around while keeping my eye on the television and chatting to Michael.














No comments:

Post a Comment