"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Sunday 7 October 2012

two in one day???

That's right two posts in one day!!  Hectic.  I have spent far too much time behind the computer today.  My niece Janet has asked a couple of her fellow bloggers to help her out on Monday's with a music post.  To help us along she has given us a question format, which we may use if we wish and which asks some thought provoking questions. These questions have led me on a wonderful journey of musical memories and I have had a lot of fun.  So much else that I should be doing but .....................

Alas, her post is not completed (hopefully next week Janet). Spending time in front of the computer and pinning and tumbling and listening to some of my new and old music, calling things up on YouTube, a great couple of hours while Michael watched golf and Granny dozed on his shoulder.  While looking at this site (which has some amazing pictures), I came across the picture below.  Tattoos don't usually do it for me and I usually never bother to read what is etched deeply into the skin but these words jumped out at me and I started reciting:-


shelter me oh genius words
just give me strength
just to pen these things
and give me peace to well her wings
and oh carry on all your minstrels of the world
we will catch our ladies ear
we will win for us the girl


A group called Cartel, who I do not know that much about (confession, I did not even know where they were from) but the words to this song, I know by heart.

They used to play this song on GWM Bristol (that is why I thought they were British), a streamed radio station that Gill and I listened to for about 4 years from 2005 (starting while Matthew was in Bristol).  We were hooked on the station and the quirky morning DJ but unfortunately we can no longer "listen live" for some reason (how rude?).  Because I cannot sing, I am pretty good at listening to the lyrics and I have had some fun this evening playing and singing along to this song again - all on my own, in the study with my glass of wine.


and all these stupid silly songs

keep trying to catch your ear
i'm trying desperately
its just so hard to persevere
and even if you listened
i never had to much to say
cause its the same old song
i'm written for the day

shelter me oh genius words
just give me strength
just to pen these things
and give me peace to well her wings
and oh carry on all your minstrels of the world
we will catch our ladies ear
we will win for us the girl

all these minstrels through the ages
that is really all we are
simply singing for the girl
that makes us try so very hard
to craft the perfect limerick
to wield unending woe
to write such silly songs
and the different never know

shelter me oh genius words
just give me strength
just to pen these things
and give me peace to well her wings
and oh carry on all your minstrels of the world
we will catch our ladies ear
we will win for us the girl

and i'll hold on to the dream
of this beggar's plea and optimistic fantasy
just hold the hand and drop the knee
you're facing love
you're embracing melody

shelter me oh genius words
just give me strength
just to pen these things
and give me peace to well her wings
and oh carry on all your minstrels of the world
we will catch our ladies ear
we will win for us the girl

and oh carry on all your minstrels of the world
we will catch our ladies ear
we will win for us the girl

Great poetic lyrics "just hold the hand and drop the knee, you're facing love, you're embracing melody".  I wish I was a songwriter.  Do songwriters have to be able to sing?

I could not find a place to fit this song it into the songs I am looking for for my guest post (sounds so posh) so I thought I would share it now.  I love the drums and minstrel sounds.  Maybe you will too.

Off to join my husband on the couch to watch Barcelona play Real Madrid - got to be a bit sociable.

1 comment: