"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 18 October 2012

pecan bob

I miss Bob. Bob is Nic's great friend but all three of my boys have a very close friendship with him. He spent loads of time with us when he was at boarding school and continued living at Albion Road when it became a digs.  He did a gap year at Clifton College in Bristol and put in a good word (with the headmaster's daughter) for Matthew.  He headed home to the Karoo earlier this year to perfect the skills of farming and I have not seen him for a couple of months.

Yesterday I sent him a link to an article that Gareth had written which had a strong reference to "a farmer (and his son) in Hopetown".  So no prizes for who he was writing about (although, I thought he could have mentioned Bob's name).  Read it, it's a lovely story.  Today I got the surprise of a letter from Bob thanking me so much for the link and giving me news.  Little things about what he is up to and how they have planted 22 hectares of pecans, the harvesting and his plans for the next crop. Spoken like a true blue blooded farmer.  I could feel his enthusiasm and I felt quite teary.  (What is up with me these days?)


I am a firm believer in things coming full circle and while I kept an eye on Bob, fetched him from parties and fed him when hungry while he was at boarding school, Bob's parents Chris and Sandy have now done the same for Matthew.   Ramah, their farm became Matthew's retreat during his 3 years in Kimberley and the Roux's provided him with a home, open spaces and many wonderful meals, whenever he had some free time.


When we visited Matthew in Kimberley in 2011 we were also fortunate to spend some time on the farm.  It is a very special place.


A tour for the touring party of the pecan orchards
Playing "Farm, Farm"
Miles and miles of open spaces - Kelly was in her element and even whispered to Chris that if he was
short of an heir to inherit, she would love to live and work on the farm

Brothers from other mothers

Then I had another co-incidence today.  As I finished my reply to Bob this song played.  Just the perfect song of which I only knew the chorus (that was the appropriate part).  So I found it on Youtube and looked up the lyrics and have now put my earplugs in and have it on repeat.

So here is a song for you Bob




I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
Like a snowflake distinct among snowflakes, unique in each way you can see
And now after some thinking, I'd say I'd rather be
A functioning cog in some great machinery serving something beyond me

But I don't, I don't know what that will be
I'll get back to you someday soon you will see

What's my name, what's my station, oh, just tell me what I should do
I don't need to be kind to the armies of night that would do such injustice to you
Or bow down and be grateful and say "sure, take all that you see"
To the men who move only in dimly-lit halls and determine my future for me

And I don't, I don't know who to believe
I'll get back to you someday soon you will see

If I know only one thing, it's that everything that I see
Of the world outside is so inconceivable often I barely can speak
Yeah I'm tongue-tied and dizzy and I can't keep it to myself
What good is it to sing helplessness blues, why should I wait for anyone else?

And I know, I know you will keep me on the shelf
I'll come back to you someday soon myself

If I had an orchard, I'd work till I'm raw
If I had an orchard, I'd work till I'm sore
And you would wait tables and soon run the store

Gold hair in the sunlight, my light in the dawn
If I had an orchard, I'd work till I'm sore
If I had an orchard, I'd work till I'm sore
Someday I'll be like the man on the screen
Bob's Orchard
Full circle, Bob?

I'm "watching" you!!!
(a private joke)
but it is Bob's watch
He is a firm believer in "Swiss Precision"

1 comment: