"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 26 September 2012

best word ever

I came across this website the other day.  

Thought it was rather clever and had to look up some of the words.  I would not choose a word that I could not pronounce and the first work "kerfuffle" made me smile.  I always thought when my mother said "no kerfuffling in the back seat" she meant "no kissing and stuff like that".  I now find out the true definition:-

Definition of kerfuffle
noun
[in singular] British informal
a commotion or fuss, especially one caused by conflicting views:
there was a kerfuffle over the chairmanship

Maybe my mother was using the Afrikaans word "gefuffeling"







Not quite sure how the "f" word could have lost out to "hornswoggle" from 1829!!

horn·swog·gle  (hôrnswgl)
tr.v. horn·swog·gled, horn·swog·gling, horn·swog·gles Chiefly Northern & Western U.S.
To bamboozle; deceive.

Our Living Language We do not know the origin of hornswoggle. We do know that it belongs to a group of "fancified" words that were particularly popular in the American West in the 19th century. Hornswoggle is one of the earliest, first appearing around 1829. It is possible that these words were invented to poke fun at the more "sophisticated" East. Some other words of this ilk are absquatulate, also first appearing in the 1820s, skedaddle, first attested in 1861 in Missouri, and discombobulate, first recorded in 1916.



"Onomatopoeia" would have got my vote (I can pronounce it, spelling it requires some thought) although "sphincter" is a very descriptive word.  As for "diphthong" - another one I had to research as it sounded a bit like a new type of g-string to me!!

diph·thong   [dif-thawng, -thong, dip-]  noun
Phonetics . an unsegmentable, gliding speech sound varying continuously in phonetic quality but held to be a single sound or phoneme and identified by its apparent beginning and ending sound, as the oi- sound of toy  or boil.

This was one of the comments on the website - Not my language, direct quote (very clever, I thought)

"It would be a hornswaggle if a scalawag like you lets a pedestrian effin' word like "fuck" win best word ever, and the ensuing kerfuffle and phlegm may make you want to fuck your sphincter with a gherkin and utter a very long diphthong."

Your best word?  There are so many....


1 comment: