"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 8 August 2012

ok, time to stop being selfish and time to share

I have to, it the is right thing to do.  For over six months now I have kept this discovery to myself.  It is my little dose of daily voyeurism.

It is a website called Underground New York and it belongs to the New York Public Library.  The photographs are amazing.  The photographer is Ourit Ben-Haim.  I love people watching and I enjoy studying the people in each picture and then, if the book grabs my attention, I click on a read a bit about the book.  Often it is the passenger sitting next to the book reader that I find most fascinating.





She's reading "The Mists of Avalon" by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Travelling on public transport brings all people from all walks of life together.  All different shapes and sizes, different colours and religions, rich or poor - all with the only two things in common; being human and having the need to get to a destination.


She's reading "By Grand Central Station I Sat Down and Wept" 
by Elizabeth Smart

"The train was waiting and she was sitting there reading. I saw her through the open doors. I walked in, took a seat in front of her, and I photographed her. She became aware of me after I took the shot. Instinctively, I knew that her awareness was informed. She looked up and asked, “Are you the Underground?”. I hesitated for a moment, as I wondered myself if I was the underground. Then I quickly said yes. She took my hand and held it, so warmly, like we were already connected. I won’t forget it. That moment will be a part of me. It will enrich my work. Thank you."


He’s reading “A Feast for Crows: A Song of Ice and Fire”, by George R.R. Martin

Another interesting twist on this site is that if the photographer cannot read the title of the book or ask the person, she asks for help from the blog readers to identify the book.

It is all so raw and real and takes me back to being on the subway in New York.  I,  however would never have been captured by the photographer as a reader.  I probably have a book on my lap and be trying to read it, but watching all the interesting people would be a major distraction and first prize for me.


They are reading "Honeymoon in New York"
by Fa Kin Su Pah

Top of the list of what to spend all my extra, surplus cash on - A trip to New York!!  If there is enough to spare - take the kids.  That would be true awesomeness.




No comments:

Post a Comment