"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 31 August 2012

my "six songs of me"

I was thinking last night that it has been a long time since I have put up any songs on the blog.  My niece Janet got me thinking the other day.  She posted on her blog, Words Can Only Be Your Own about a competition that The Guardian were running, The Six Songs of Me.  Quite a lot of fun.  Try it, you can listen to the songs too - Internet is soooo clever!!!

My answers:-

01 What was the first song you ever bought?

Tony Orlando and Dawn - Knock 3 Times

Dalene and I had got a red portable record player (to share, for goodness sake) one Christmas, probably 1972/73. With it came a PopShop compilation vinyl LP and on it was Tony Orlando and Dawn - Knock 3 Times.  Definitely our favourite track on the record.  We used to use the broom to knock 3 times on the ceiling (if you want him) and then Dalene used to run to the bathroom to do the "twice on the pipes" part.  You see already at that young age I was the one the "available one" and Dalene hit the pipes twice to say "The answer is "NO" (the fussy, hard to get one!!)

02 What song always gets you dancing?

Queen - DON'T STOP ME NOW.  Not the greatest Queen fan but this song has got me into lots of trouble at the end of an evening.  "Don't Stop me Now - I'm having such a good time, I"m having a ball!!"

I'm burning through the skies Yeah! 
Two hundred degrees 
That's why they call me Mister Fahrenheit 
I'm trav'ling at the speed of light 
I wanna make a supersonic (wo)man out of you 


03 What song takes you back to your childhood?

Stranger's in the Night - Frank Sinatra

This song always reminds me of my dad - He loved the "doo bee doo bee doo" part and would dance and sing it to Dalene and I.

My dad loved music and always had the latest and best sound system - "Pioneer", "Bang and Olafson" come to mind - he was forever updating for the best sound.  So when I think of my childhood song it is probably when we used to spend holidays at his beachfront flat in Port Elizabeth looking through his records Trini Lopez, Tony Bennett, Shirley Bassey, Barbara Streisand and of course, Shakatak records - wherever he came from with Shakatak, I will never know (but he thought it was pretty "Hip")

04 What is your perfect love song?

Dire Straits, Romeo and Juliet has to be the one because I saw them play it live at the Royal Albert Hall.

Juliet when we made love you used to cry 
You said I love you like the stars above and I'll love you till I die 
There's a place for us you know the movie song 
When you gonna realise it was just that the time was wrong Juliet? 

A lovestruck Romeo sings the streets a serenade 
Laying everybody low with a lovesong that he made 
Finds a convenient streetlight steps out of the shade 
Says something like you and me babe how about it? 

You and me babe, how about it?





  
05 What song would you want at your funeral?

The Police - Every Breath you Take - "Every breath you take, every move you make, I'll be watching you"
Joking.  This is not an easy one.  I would like it to be light hearted and upbeat affair and I do love Sting, so maybe not a joke.  Tears in Heaven - Eric Clapton, Candle in the Wind - Elton John,  Unchained Melody - Righteous Brothers, Time to Say Goodbye, You Raise me Up - Gosh I could really be mean and get you all sobbing good and proper.

06 Time for the encore. One last song that makes you, you

No question - Dave Matthews Band- Crush


My Crazy Song
"Is this real....or am I dreaming"

It's crazy, I'm thinking just as long as you're around. 
I'm here I'll be dancing on the ground. 
Am I right side up or upside down? 
To each other, well be facing. 
My love, my love, well beat back the pain we've found. 
You know, I mean to tell you all the things I've been thinking, deep inside my 
Friend. 
With each moment the more I love you


Actually this could be 2, 4, 5 and 6

Have a great weekend.


1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of you and Dalene running around the house making knocking sounds! And now I can't get the image of you whirling around a dancefloor to Queen out of my head...!

    ReplyDelete