"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 10 May 2012

on this harvest moon


You expected to be sad in the fall. 
Part of you died each year when the leaves fell from
 the trees and their branches were bare against the wind and the cold, wintery light. 
But you knew there would always be the spring, as you knew the river would flow again 
after it was frozen. 
When the cold rains kept on and killed the spring, it was as 
though a young person died for no reason.

Ernest Hemingway, A Moveable Feast

The sudden chill in the air, the darkness of the mornings and the urge to steal those extra minutes under the duvet - Autumn is definitely here.

While Hemingway paints a dark picture and I know many who don't look forward to the long, wet and cold Cape winter - I love it.  I especially love autumn, the change of seasons where the colours are sharp and the air crisp.  My top choice of any day in a year is a clear autumn day.  Having experienced the American "fall" nearly three years ago, I will always choose to return there in September or October.  

Michael and I are back to our evening walks and I took a couple of pictures the other evening.
 About as colourful as it gets in our neighbourhood
 I love these newly installed "old school" street names they are reinventing in our area
but I fear that the Council have run out of paint and/or enthusiasm for the task as it seems
to have stopped abruptly in St Davids Road (what about Andrew, Denis and George?)

So now at the end of a long summer, it is time to prepare for winter.  Our gutters need attention and the wood pile needs to be replenished.  I have changed our bedding over to the heavier weight duvet but at this menopausal time of my life, I have seriously "gone off" fluffy winter sheets.  This weekend is probably time to  sort out the winter wardrobe - not that I have much to do - long sleeved t-shirts to the front and summer ones to the back and jerseys can be demoted down a shelf or two to be more accessible.

Autumn also brings nostalgia and the full moon on the weekend had me thinking about "harvest moon" and Neil Young. One of my favourite songs which must be the most romantic of all time.  I find the words even more romantic and appropriate now that that I am that bit older.

Come a little bit closer
Hear what I have to say
Just like children sleeping
We can dream this night away

But there is a full moon rising
Let's go dancing in the dark
We know where the music's playing
Let's go out and feel the night

Because I'm still in love with you
I wanna see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon

When we were strangers
I watched you from afar
Then when we were lovers
I loved you with all my heart

But now it's getting late
And the moon is bright and high
I want to celebrate
See it shining in your eye

Because I'm still in love with you
I wanna see you dance again
Because I'm still in love with you
On this harvest moon

Romantic and nostalgic..."then when we were lovers, I loved you with all my heart".  Is she still with him?  Did she leave him or maybe die?

Whatuthink?

Autumn in New York


 “It was one of those perfect New York October afternoons, 
when the explosion of oranges and yellows against the bright blue sky makes you 
feel like your life is passing through your fingers, that you've felt this autumn-feeling before and you'll probably get to feel it again, but one day you won't anymore, 
because you'll be dead.” 
Sarah Dunn, Secrets to Happiness

Delicious autumn! My very soul is wedded to it, and if I were a bird I would fly about the earth seeking the successive autumns. 
George Eliot

October gave a party; The leaves by hundreds came - The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples, And leaves of every name. The Sunshine spread a carpet, And everything was grand, Miss Weather led the dancing, Professor Wind the band. 
George Cooper



No comments:

Post a Comment