"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 15 May 2012

friends indeed.........

It is wonderful to have friends who travel internationally and do shopping for you on their trips.  Kathy travels plenty, mostly on business to the USA.  She is now older and wiser and does not do as much physical shopping anymore.  Why hassle with shopping when there is Amazon.com?  She now gives us her full address with zip codes and dates that she will be at the hotel.  I then ordered my camera and accessories, other friends ordered books and bras, iPods and Kindles.  Heaven knows what the concierge (I love using that word in the written form because I never have the confidence to say it (because I don't know how to say it)) thinks when he has to sign for all these different kinds of parcels in different shapes and sizes for this white woman from Africa.

Lesley (bless her cotton socks) has all the most up to date electronic gadgets a girl would want but most are still in their boxes.  I can be brave and mention her here to test the waters with this posting and check up if she is reading my blog (she doesn't - Wayne sometimes does).   So when she left for her most recent trip to London and Wales she asked for my shopping list.  She went off shopping and found everything except the Pear Drops.  She had given up on them and then spied them at the airport.  




I asked for the Waitrose Baby Bottom Butter, their coconut massage oil and Pear Drops (my favourite English sweets).   I also asked for the paperback, Before I go to Sleep by SJ Watson (and suggested she read it on the plane).  I cannot believe how much we pay for paperbacks in SA.  Even with the shocking rand to pound exchange at £5.99 it is less than half of what it costs here.  I started reading an excerpt from the book online and then the 20 "free" pages came to an end and I had to know what happened.  Anyone read it?  It is soon to be made into a movie starring Nicole Kidman.

On Friday I received my little hamper from the UK.   I can't wait to get my nose into the book, cover myself in baby bum cream while munching on my Pear Drops. 

A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, 
and one of the best things you can be.  
Douglas Pagels

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for being such a special friend. We can share the joys of bum butter.xxx

    ReplyDelete