"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 29 May 2012

a little inspiration for a grey day

During my internet adventures these last two weeks, I am coming across more and more Tumblr sites.  Basically they are sites that are filled with pictures and words - some amazing stuff and some pretty scary stuff - and from what I understand "tumblelogging" is what text messages are to email - short and sweet (not really my style).  It is a short form of blogging and seems to be catching on amazingly quickly.


However, what I find difficult now is how to be correct about referencing stuff that you are taking off other peoples Tumblr sites? Perhaps like Twitter you are supposed to re-tweet (tumblr) them but if you want to blog about them or use some verse or a picture, it is pretty difficult to find the original source.  


Like Pinterest you can spend hours looking at pretty pictures, holiday destinations and beautiful people.  Enough to often make your own pictures, holidays and normal self feel pretty ordinary, boring and unattractive.


One thing I found here during my cyber-travels was this wonderful piece (not quite sure what else to call it).  Sometimes on grey weather days like today when you are feeling a bit dowdy and dreary (and your middle son asks you in his very caring and polite way "Do you maybe need a new patch, Mom?", all you really need is to read some words like these (and perhaps a new oestrogen patch as well) to make you realise that we are who we are and that is just fine.


I am round where others are flat, flat where others are round.
I have rough skin on the bottoms of my feet, soft skin on the backs of my knees.
I have freckles, marks, scars and bruises. I breath deep gulps of air.
I am not like anyone before or anyone who is to come, other than our ends.
I have no reason to compare myself to others.
Not the rounding of my thighs, or the set of my eyes.
Not my train of thought, nor the way my hands flutter through the air when I talk.
These are possessions that are unconditionally mine.
I didn’t have to pay for them, I didn’t have to bargain, haggle and scrimp for them.
I didn’t have to pine after them on the pages of magazines.
Nor desire them from the pages of books.
My eyes do not see them elsewhere.
I do somethings better than others, I do many things worse than others.
I need not compare my talents to others.
I need not compare accomplishments or failures of  others to my accomplishments and failures.
So, my curves, my imperfections, are not imperfect.
I am perfect. I am a perfect me.
Me.
Selfish, perhaps.
However, I have to repeat these words each time I feel the doubt and fear creeping in.
I am a perfect me.  


You


Reading this right now, you are the perfect you.
The set of your eyes, the hitch of your stride.
The scars you have or don’t have.
You are the perfect you.
Relish in your perfection, often.
Praise your perfection.
Worship your soft, your rough.
The curve, the hollow, the point, the flat.
Let’s agree you are perfect, I am perfect.
Live in your perfection.
Stop comparisons.
Start self praise. 


I am a perfect me


Perfect white tulips for you
“For most of life, nothing wonderful happens. If you don’t enjoy getting up and working and finishing your work and sitting down to a meal with family or friends, then the chances are that you’re not going to be very happy. If someone bases his happiness or unhappiness on major events like a great new job, huge amounts of money, a flawlessly happy marriage or a trip to Paris, that person isn’t going to be happy much of the time. If, on the other hand, happiness depends on a good breakfast, flowers in the yard, a drink or a nap, then we are more likely to live with quite a bit of happiness.” —Andy Rooney (via ventriloquistic)
(via torace)

So there, time to think and take stock


I love nothing more than to sit down at the end of the day to a meal with family and friends.


My happiness is not based on my job, money or a trip to Paris


A good breakfast, flowers in my garden, a drink (rather than a nap) makes me realise that I live with so much happiness and although it has been a grey and dreary day today, I am on my way out of this office and off to give my little niece a big hug.  She was devastated yesterday to be given detention at school for the first time.  I have had reams of BBM messages from her, she does not read my blog ("the stories are too long") so I am going to share this little bit, with you, off my phone:-


K:  I have some terrible news
J:   What?
K:  Detention tomorrow
(Followed by a photograph of the detention slip)
K:  Its the first DT I have ever got in my life & I promise I am not happy about it.  I have been sad and crying this afternoon.
J:   Sometimes we need a shake up to make us determined to work harder.  Everyone gets detention sometime - ask your Mom.  Take your punishment because you did not do your homework and learn from your mistake.  You are so special and unique and we all love you, no matter what - even your teacher.
K:  Aww u so kind & u always make me feel special and better
J:  How long is your detention?
K: Please don't speak about it anymore.  Lets change the subject and get down to business.....Computer games...have you tried any new games?


"Captain my Captain"
Got to love this girl.  Got to get out of here.


No comments:

Post a Comment