"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 27 March 2012

share your heart

I found this title on a whole series of different blogs the other day.  Usually a little cheesy for me but something about the simplicity of the task appealed to me.  They asked each blogger to "Share their Heart" through a picture, a poem, a song, a quote, a piece of clothing and a place.

 
A picture

A picture.  I love photographs, I have plenty (but not all on my computer).  This was the one that stood out for me for a couple of reason. Taken on the happiest day of my life, minutes after marrying Michael, with my three gorgeous boys (and in my garden with a glass of bubbles).  It was indeed a special day, surrounded by those closest to me.  There was not much fuss or planning (just a veil of secrecy) as people were only told about the occasion once Michael and I were leaving the country for a month on honeymoon.

A poem.  There are many. Classics from school days and the more modern.  ee cummings is a favourite of mine - the lower case (and bracket vibe) has influenced me in many ways.  This one is pretty soppy and romantic, but beautiful.

i carry your heart with me

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in 
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)

i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

A song.  So difficult. There are many but I would have to choose my "turning point song" - Dave Matthews - Crush.  I have told you about it before and you can see the video here too (if you want)

Dave Matthews, eesh 



A quote:-


What we think, or what we know, or what we believe is, in the end, of little consequence. The only consequence is what we do.
John Ruskin



A piece of clothing.   I have this grey sleeveless cardigan that I have had for nearly 20 years.  I have pictures of myself wearing it in London in the mid 90's and at Amy's first birthday party but I do not have one on my computer (pretty strange).  It deserves a post of it's own.  I have been thin when I have worn it, fat when I have worn it, happy and sad.  I have worn it in summer and in winter.  It is soft and comfortable (and I think it hides my bum).  My family don't like it but it is the one item of clothing that has been the most used in my life and I love it.  
Grey Sleeveless Button Cardigan 
A bit like this one but slightly darker.

And finally, a place.  OK, you have guessed - New York.

 
Could be on a train anywhere, you say?  But on a subway heading for Manhattan
with Michael, Chris, Judy and Jaye (can't you see the Yankees cap behind me?  Silly you)

I have only spent 10 days of my life there but it was the most awesome, energising and exciting time.  I need to go back.  I want to explore more.  A part of me is scared to go back in case that was just a one-off magical time (but I don't think so).  I'll be back.

I mentioned "simplicity" in the first paragraph.  Sometimes a task you think will be simple and straightforward takes a lot longer than you think.  The music had to be sifted through, quotes I have in a file read through but the most difficult was finding the poem.  I hope this has got you thinking about which picture, song and poem you would use to "share your heart".

No comments:

Post a Comment