"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 28 March 2012

rivers and bridges and pooh and piglet

I found this quote earlier in the week in one of my draft posts, liked it a lot and thought I would share it.

No man ever steps in the same river twice, 
for it's not the same river and he's not the same man. 
- Heraclitus -

The quote and the river got me thinking about bridges.  I love bridges.  Last night I collected my new camera from Kathy and it felt like Christmas. I spent most of the evening (after sharing a bottle of wine with Kathy) downloading all the disks and instructions that come in the box.  The camera is great but I need to do some homework and find the right options and settings.  Once I had loaded the Nikon programme I started sorting through my pictures on Picasa,  I found some pictures that brought back so many good memories.  Quite a few pictures were of bridges.  So you see we are getting a bit of a theme going here (pretty unlike me).  I spent ages putting pictures into proper folders (someday very, very soon Gareth is coming to help me change over to my very own website).  Little wonder I am feeling so tired today.
Dartmouth
Gareth and Dalene a stone bridge over Dart River in May 2005 (Dave's UK 30th birthday road trip)
Gareth and David on another stone bridge
Visiting Matthew in Bristol at the Clifton Suspension Bridge
Dalene, David, me and Mom


Sometimes, if you stand on the bottom rail of a bridge 
and lean over to watch the river slipping slowly away beneath you, 
you will suddenly know everything there is to be known

A.A. Milne
Winnie the Pooh






Here is the original Pooh Sticks bridge, in Ashdown Forest, near the village of Hartfield in East Sussex, England.

This is not my picture and I have not been there (but would like to go there - I love bridges and forests).  It kind of ties into the story, you know rivers, photographs, bridges, England, Winnie the Pooh

winnie the pooh

Piglet and Pooh
having an exciting time in Dartmouth, eating breakfast (?) in a pub, near a river (which had many bridges)

"It's the same thing"

No comments:

Post a Comment