"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 14 March 2012

decisions decisions

I have spent the last three nights doing camera homework.  Kathy is off to New York (again) later this week, my camera was stolen with my handbag and she has offered to bring one back for me.  Amazing how much cheaper they are there and for the R2 500 that I am prepared to spend, I can really get a much better camera.  However, this does entail some work and has made me realise what a bad consumer I am.  If I walked into a camera shop, I would tell them what I was looking for and end up taking the salesman's word for which is the best.  It would take me 20 minutes and I would walk out and be satisfied.  Now I am having to be my own salesman and boy is it a hard job.  I have shortened the list to two makes Canon and Sony (I have had both and was very happy with both of them) - there are so many (too many) options.  Different sites compare models and prices and I have printed out lists and lists of the different features.  I now have to make up my mind and have cut the list to 5 models - 2 are the compact "point and shoots" and the others are the slightly larger bridge cameras which look more like cameras than cellphones.  Do I want a small camera that I can keep in my bag at all times or a bigger camera (that I will keep in my bag at all times)?  The pixel story also confuses me as apparently you don't need to have 1000's of mega pixels to take better pictures and in fact too many pixels affects the colour and light of the pictures.   Which one would you choose?

Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS 
Canon SD4000IS

 
Sony Cyber-Shot WX10
Canon's New PowerShot SX230 HS (Image courtesy Canon)
Canon PowerShot SX230 HS

Canon PowerShot ELPH310 HS

Sony CyberShot DSC HX9V

Anyone have any suggestions and advice?  (But please don't throw another make or model into the pot!!)

This morning I really needed a camera.  It is the most stunning day in Cape Town.  All my plants are blooming and everything looked so crisp and green (even my new birthday mug).  I had to capture the beauty so took some pictures with the Blackberry.


So chuffed that the white Plectranthus has finally bloomed
What is a morning in the garden without a cup of tea? (in the big green birthday mug)

Not everything is perfect though (can it ever be?)

Some bald spots on the lawn

 Autumn leaves starting to fall

when i look up at my beautiful plane tree
so tall, strong and proud
providing relief from
the summer sun 
and shade for my table where i can
relax and read and
drink icy wine
on with friends
(or on my own)
but the ides of march are here (beware)
and the days are getting shorter 
and i see the leaves starting to change colour
and brown and curl
and when i look up at my beautiful tree
i know that every single leaf on my tree
will shrivel and dry and fall
to the ground
and need to be raked and picked up and bagged
(by me)
 
Every pleasure requires some effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment