"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 9 March 2012

as free as a bird.......



Often
in the morning
 as I take my first sip
of tea while looking 
out 
of the kitchen window
 I realise 
and feel grateful
as I watch the birds
competing for the breadcrumbs and bits of
cheese that I put out 
for them
to eat
the previous night,
I think of
the lives of birds 
and although it seems 
a far more simplistic 
and a more free life than mine
it has problems, troubles, fights
and difficulties
and I realise that it is far easier 
being me 
than being a bird 
and having to compete for food and have
bigger birds be nasty to you
and that one moment you can be 
splashing and wetting your feathers 
in a birdbath
and then when you leave
the safety of my courtyard
and venture into the sun in the front garden
to dry your feathers
you get eaten by the cat
from No. 9
and I, 
at the end of the day,
get home from work
and find the garden covered
in feathers and wonder
which bird you were
and how could one bird have so many feathers?
and feel bad because I let you down
and offered you food and water
and made you feel safe and brave
and could not warn you
about the dangerous cat
from No.9


caged cat

No comments:

Post a Comment