"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 8 November 2011

the busiest of busy times


Lucie and Dave
I am here and alive and well and having so much fun getting wedding stuff organised.  My little brother David is marrying Lucie on Friday 11-11-11.  So my apologies for the erratic postings that are going to happen this week.  I was up bright and early this morning and completed my post but at the crucial time where I was trying to download a picture to make things look pretty, the internet bombed out.  I have now popped into office and am sorting out some emails and redoing this post (dedicated hey?)


The overseas visitors have all now arrived.  Thank goodness the weather yesterday was good so that they could see that we do have a mountain which is hoping to become one of the 7 Wonders of the World (or whatever).  Today it is bucketing down in Cape Town and the forecast for the rest of the week does not look great - but Friday is going to be clear.  


When Dave and Lucie were looking for venues they had all but paid the deposit at Uitsig before looking at this house that they wanted to hire for the guests.  A stunning house in Constantia with a beautiful garden.  When we looked around the house David asked the owner what the cost would be to hire the house for the wedding. "No cost if you are taking over the whole house" so they now have a palace on Avenue Picardie for the week and the wedding will be in the garden on Friday.


There has been quite a bit of extra organising in having it in a home, but it is right up my street.  Lucie is super organised with lists and spreadsheets and I work on adrenalin.  My house is a warehouse of candles, flowers at various stages of blooming and hundreds of old glass recycled jam-jars (from Oasis) which have been washed until they shine and are ready for the flowers.  A garden wedding does take some planning and on Thursday we have a list of people arriving to set up tents, deliver tables and chairs, table cloths need to be collected and quite a lot of other stuff.  Lucky we now have quite a crew all ready to help.
My friend Ginny has offered to help with the flowers and has sourced the most beautiful pivot white flowers for free.  However, they are up the mountain and you are allowed to pick them because they are aliens.  She promises me that it is "only a 10 or 20 minute walk in the forest" but if I know the mountain goat that Ginny has become, it probably entails some boulder hopping as well.  So that is happening tomorrow afternoon and I hope that my legs are going to hold out.  I have a lot of dancing to do on Friday night.
Tonight we are meeting all the family and having a supper at 6, so I had better finish off now.  AND I still am not sure of what I am wearing on Friday. The whole family (especially my mother and Lucie's younger sister Victoria) are very concerned.  My mom went as far as to go out shopping for me and I now have 3 options and the one that I chose is probably not going to please my mother, but may change, depending on the weather.  Let's just hope that we can depend on the weather.
I'm off - will be in touch







1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny, the flowers look fabulous! Good luck with all the arrangements and enjoy the wedding.

    ReplyDelete