"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 27 October 2011

a random list of smiles



Have you noticed the sudden popularity of clever quotes, cheesey sayings, inspirational and motivational words popping up all over your computer.  Facebook now has pages devoted to them and Pinterest (my favourite) has thousands of boards with words in every font available.
Pinned Image
I love around 29% of the ones I see and of those 29% I probably cut and paste and save about half (nearly 15%) in different folders and draft sub-folders on my computer.  Then on an evening like tonight, I take a look and either delete the ones I thought I liked the first time and say to myself "Jennifer, what were you thinking?" or use one (like the one below) for a little bit of inspiration.
So here I sit alone at my computer in the dead of the night, unable to sleep and smiling to myself at the amazing wit of Oscar Wilde (Dorian Gray is one of my top 10 books) and before I get totally off the subject, a little snippet from the book and then I will get back to the title of this post (promise):-

"Dorian started and peered round.  “This will do,” he answered, and having got out hastily and given the driver the extra fare he had promised him, he walked quickly in the direction of the quay. Here and there a lantern gleamed at the stern of some huge merchantman. The light shook and splintered in the puddles.  A red glare came from an outward-bound steamer that was coaling.  The slimy pavement looked like a wet mackintosh.

At the end of the hall hung a tattered green curtain that swayed and shook in the gusty wind which had followed him in from the street.  He dragged it aside and entered a long low room which looked as if it had once been a third-rate dancing-saloon.  Shrill flaring gas-jets, dulled and distorted in the fly-blown mirrors that faced them, were ranged round the walls.  Greasy reflectors of ribbed tin backed them, making quivering disks of light. The floor was covered with ochre-coloured sawdust, trampled here and there into mud, and stained with dark rings of spilled liquor."

Isn't that awesome?  Enough of brothels and debauchery and back to "freedom, books, flowers and the moon" and "happiness".  I have decided to compose a random list of smiles.  To compose of list of "happiness" is just too difficult and far too broad so I thought I would start with a list of the simple things that make me smile everyday.

Pinned Image
1.   the first sip of hot morning tea
2.   hot shower
3.   trying a new shampoo for the first time
4.   first squeeze of a new tube of toothpaste
5.   freshly washed clean towels (crisp and white)
6.   birds bathing outside the kitchen window
7.   feeling of wet grass under your feet
8.   green lights, no traffic
9.   chatting and laughing with friends
10. coming home to a clean house
11. coming home to the smell of a pot roast in the slow cooker
12. the first sip of ice cold wine
13. all the family around the dinner table
14. warm hugs
15. a postcard in the postbox
16. the smell of johnson's baby powder
17. a few chapters of a good book to end the day
18. freshly washed bedding and crisp pillowcases
19. "love you mom" text messages
20.  night time cuddles

Enough from me for tonight, it's now 2.35 and I am a bit chilly (and sleepy) so back to bed.

21.  cold body on warm Michael

and life goes on it's merry way

1. first sip of hot morning tea


No comments:

Post a Comment