"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 11 October 2011

games we played



A wise woman (I am sure it was a woman) once said, "If you carry your childhood with you, you never become older".  As I keep taking trips down memory lane (without intentionally being on a quest for eternal youth), Kelly got me thinking of games we used to play when we were young.  She comes visiting every Sunday on her scooter and I clearly remember the red Triang scooter that I had as a child.  Kelly's is state of the art, fold-up aluminium one but it does the same job.  You could still buy one like this one for about 70 pounds on e-Bay.
triang scoot.jpg
I am the one who thought (until I was about 10) that a handbag was a hambag and Dalene still calls potatoes, betatoes (don't argue Dalene - see little quip below before accusing me of making up stories about you when you were little).
Pinned Image
Weird how some things stick and I can still remember my embarrassment in Standard 2 reading out "fatigue" as "fatEgue".  So bad was it that every time I read the word, even now, I blush.  I know in our family we have the age old argument of who called Wimbledon, Wimbletin - one slip of the tongue and you are embarrassed forever.


Anyone for "Goomie"?  Why was it called "Goomie"?  Not even sure if I am saying it or spelling it correctly.  So for those of you who don't remember Goomie here is something you:-
Then while I was thinking about the games that we played in the playground, I remembered this wonderful game called Jacks.
Pinned Image
How many hours were spent during break time sitting on the cold concrete in the quad at Rosebank Junior School playing Jacks.  If anyone still has a set and would like to take me on, I am ready, anytime.

What about these paper clicker things we used to make?  
Pinned Image
Only the other day I saw them on one of the wedding blog sites that I keep stalking for ideas.  The examples below were used to number the tables and also as a kind-of check your mate, to see how well you know the bridal couple. Hectic.  For some reason or other it is another useless bit of information that I have stored and I still know how to fold them.



Pinned Image
This was more the way I recall playing the game
Pinned Image
Klankers
I remember bruised knuckles trying to get the timing right.  My grandfather used to throw us out of our flat to play outside because he did not like noise they made.
Pinned Image
Trolls.  We used to be pretty cruel and stick our pencils up their rear ends for decoration.
Pinned Image
Silly Putty - Do you remember the smell of it?
Pinned Image
Charms
Marbles, yo-yo's and hula-hoops have never really lots their appeal and the Smurfs are back.  Somethings never change.
Pinned Image

No comments:

Post a Comment