"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 19 July 2011

dear God, this is jenny

Sunrise2

I went out into the garden with my tea this morning
(in my fluffy, shabby (but clean) gown)
And watched the sun rise over the rooftops of suburbia
I sat at my dewy table and breathed in the crisp air
and watched the steam from my tea rise
and get swallowed by the cold air
I am not an overly religious person
but sitting quietly on my own
I felt the need to pray
Usually my prayers start with an apology to God
"Please forgive me for only calling you when I need your help but I do.........."
But this morning I did not start the prayer the same way
(although I would be asking for help)
 Does God really know everything?
Even what we think?
 Would he see through my new approach?
I thought it a good idea to start by saying thank you for
all that is good in my life
and of that there is much
for my family who I love so much
(and could not do without)
for my friends who I could not do without
(and love so much)
for my husband who I love and could not do without
for my home and garden and kitchen
and courtyard
for the beautiful country that we live in
for Nelson Mandela
(and I hoped he had a good birthday)
for the mountain and the sun
and that perhaps it should rain soon so that the dams
can be full for summer and that we can water our gardens
(that was just a suggestion)
there was lots more and
(since I was giving some suggestions)
 I went on to the "not-so-nice-stuff"
the troubles and sadness and illness
that so many of the people I know and love are going through
and mentioned them by name
the two old ladies in my life
and the friends who are sad or lonely
the friends that are having treatment for cancer
and for their families and friends
who love them so much
for another wonderful friend who is having an operation tomorrow
and another who is making her way home
for family and friends who are far away and missing home
for my friends who have family who are far away and miss them lots
for my sister who is wonderful but fragile and so precious to us all
and
for my boys and their loves and their fears
and
to please keep Nic safe because he is travelling home by car on his own
from Kimberley today
and if he knows any lotto numbers, please send clues
(joking)
Then I thanked him again for everything
because life and love and family and friends are so precious
Then I thought I had better tell him that I do know that he knows best
but please, if he could
would he try his very, very best to make everyone in my prayers
well and happy and safe


I took another sip of tea, tossed it onto the grass because it was cold,
got up and walked inside only to note that the back of the fluffy and shabby gown
was now wet with dew and not so clean
(from the not-so-clean table)
but I felt a whole lot better






1 comment:

  1. Oh well that now added some fresh tears to my day!!!! You are bloody amazing...always told you so. But I am very glad that there are a whole lot more people telling you the same thing!!!! I LOVE YOU JEN! Keep up the good work. xxxx

    ReplyDelete