"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 14 February 2012

that's what friends are for.......


For sure.
Last night I went to visit a close friend who unfortunately I don't get to see that much of anymore.   Not through any reason, just the way time flies by and what with work taking up much of the week and family things taking up most of the weekend, I have started to feel a bit bogged down and guilty about not making more effort to see friends and during the week seems the way to go.  Driving to Rondebosch last night I was reminded of how often in the past I drove the route to her house to collect or drop off boys and always to stop for a chat.  Last night I had to slow right down to make sure that I was taking the right road, the trees and whole look of her road has changed since the last time I visited.   We had a delicious chicken salad and crusty bread, chilled wine (perhaps 2 glasses too many) while chatting and sitting outside on her covered patio.  Our conversation jumped in many directions and by 12 o'clock (on a Monday night) it was time to go home.  5 hours of non-stop chatting and catching up!!

On getting home (to a fast asleep Michael), I had a quick swizz of the newspaper, had a shower and slipped gently (as gently as clumsy Jenny can slip between the sheets) into bed.  Do you think I could sleep?  Too much conversation (and probably 1 glass of wine too many) and my head was filled with thoughts and ideas.

I thought about:-

  • friends and friendships and how lucky I am to be surrounded by so many awesome people;  
  • how great getting older actually is and how much more confidence and honesty you have in your friendships; 
  • how you no longer worry too much about what people think;  
  • how you have so many different groups of friends and how these groups overlap more and more;  
  • how this blog has introduced me to more friends and drawn me so much closer to others;
  • and lots of other nonsense and a few good ideas (but later for that)

So it is my resolution to use one night a week to catch up with friends - an early visit after work, a glass of wine after supper or even an old fashioned telephone conversation (I just don't seem to do those anymore).friendship
As for Valentine's night - I am ready for an early night.  Michael's idea of romance for tonight is to watch Ghost (one of his all time favourites and my absolute worst (except the song and Demi Moore was very pretty back then (silly girl)) - Whoopi Goldberg (UGH) and Patrick Swayze (double UGH (ugh) - RIP)).  Michael announced to the office that it is on Channel 105 at 8!!   I don't mind watching Sleepless in Seattle, Notting Hill or even Pretty Woman over and over again but one watching of Ghost was enough for my lifetime.

So we will probably watch "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" (romantically) knowing that the boys will not be coming around for supper tonight (to rip us off about watching re-runs of the 2004 series).  Maybe Michael will not be able to resist Ghost and will watch teary eyed in the bedroom, while I catch up on last night's Grey's (and nod off in front of the TV).  Silly thing Valentine's Day.  Love you lots!!

stacked with detail



No comments:

Post a Comment