"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 23 February 2012

i believe i can fly...not me!!


I am still jittery after watching the video this morning of Jeb Corliss (the guy who believed he could fly off Table Mountain).  Take a look here (if you are not easily frightened).  How do people do things like that?  Actually WHY do people do things like that?

I am not great with heights.  Not too major a phobia but I cannot walk down an open staircase without holding on and taking one step at a time. Those open cement stairs in the old days at the Newlands Swimming Pool scared me off that swimming pool forever (and that was before I found myself swimming with a real live turd).  Lovely place.  I tried getting across a fairly low swing bridge in the Hogsback with Nicky Deacon and Gareth while we were there in 2003.  I ended up going across on my bottom (just like a hobbit from the area).   Going up a ladder is not too bad, but coming down gives me a "no" feeling.

I found out that Gareth shared my fear of heights when as a two year old he would bravely climb the steps to the top of the slide and then sit there, frozen with fear until his heavily pregnant mother climbed the stairs to slide down with him.  Watch the beginning of this snippet.  This was after Matthew had been born and he had had already had quite a lot of practice on slides (note the hand holding on and how proud he looks when his feet touch the ground).

I love looking at this video - that little baby in the pram, sucking his honey dummy
is going to be 25 tomorrow - scary stuff.

I still struggle.  Watching Nic play rugby at UCT on Monday night, Michael perched himself on the wall overlooking the field and swung his one leg over the side.  I felt my uterus contract and thought that it was going to explode through my throat.   Please don't do things like that to me.

Anyone ready and able to enjoy any of these adventures:-

would you?

Scared of heights?


Heights.


Heights

Never dare me to do that . . .

Hanging Out

The best one of all:-

I'm not sure I would feel like eating :)
My aching nerves - imagine disembarking after a drink?

I feel ill.

No comments:

Post a Comment