"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Monday 2 July 2012

a very romantic trio of pictures

I started writing about these three pictures and even with my boys all far from Cape Town at the moment, they would probably tell me to "put it in the box" and as I am a bit of a coward (and their mom), I deleted my romantic ramblings and will let the pictures speak for themselves (they don't really need words but, if I get brave, I may let you have it in a fictional short story form shortly).

Breakfast at Tiffany's, combining two of my favourites New York and Audrey Hepburn.  I never knew much about George Peppard until he appeared in the A-Team as John "Hannibal" Smith but aren't these pictures an amazingly romantic sequence?






My aching nerves.

Then from the movie:-

Paul Varjak: Holly, I'm in love with you. 
Holly Golightly: So what? 
Paul Varjak: So what? So plenty! I love you. You belong to me. 
Holly Golightly: No. People don't belong to people. 
Paul Varjak: Of course they do. 
Holly Golightly: I'm not going to let anyone put me in a cage. 
Paul Varjak: I don't want to put you in a cage. I want to love you. 
Holly Golightly: It's the same thing. 
Paul Varjak: No it's not. Holly... 
Holly Golightly: I'm not Holly. I'm not Lula Mae, either. I don't know who I am! I'm like cat here, a couple of no-name slobs. We belong to nobody and nobody belongs to us. We don't even belong to each other. 
Paul Varjak: You know what's wrong with you, Miss Whoever-you-are? You're chicken, you've got no guts. You're afraid to stick out your chin and say, "Okay, life's a fact, people do fall in love, people do belong to each other, because that's the only chance anybody's got for real happiness." You call yourself a free spirit, a "wild thing," and you're terrified somebody's gonna stick you in a cage. Well baby, you're already in that cage. You built it yourself. And it's not bounded in the west by Tulip, Texas, or in the east by Somali-land. It's wherever you go. Because no matter where you run, you just end up running into yourself. 

To finish and if you don't already know, how very beautiful Audrey really was, take a look at this snippet from the movie.  Don't you love her version of Moon River?  Her voice was dubbed in My Fair Lady and there was only a small part of "Just you wait Henry Higgins" that she sang herself.  She was apparently very upset that 90% of her singing was blanked out and dubbed.   I would be too, if I had such a lovely voice.



No comments:

Post a Comment