"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 31 July 2012

tuesday tune

My song of the week.  Not usually one for country sounds or female vocalists but this is such a sad, catchy tune sung in a tragic but fun way.  I just want to meet this "Pie Maker" and listen to her stories.



It's not far 
I can walk 
Down the block 
To TableTalk 
Close my eyes 
Make the pies all day

Plastic cap 
On my hair 
I used to mind 
Now I don't care 
I used to mind 
Now I don't care 
Cause I'm gray

Did I show you this picture of my nephew 
Taken at his big birthday surprise 
At my sister's house last Sunday 
This is Monday and I'm making pies
I'm making pies
Making pies
Pies 

Thursday nights 
I go and type
Down at the church 
For Father Mike
It gets me out 
And he ain't hard to like
At all

Jesus stares at me 
In my chair
With his big blue eyes 
And his honey brown hair 
And he's looking at me 
Way up there 
On the wall

Did I show you this picture of my sweetheart
Taken of us before the war
Of the Greek and his Italian girl 
One Sunday at the shore 

We tied our ribbons to the fire escape 
They were taken by the birds 
Who flew home to the country 
As the bombs rained on the world

5am 
Here I am 
Walking the block 
To TableTalk 
You could cry or die 
Or just make pies all day 
I'm making pies 
Making pies
Making pies 
Making pies



The story in my head goes like this...A more than middle aged woman, working at a bakery called Table Talk, making pies (all day).  No children, her sisters children are her life.  She works at the church (because she quite fancies the priest :)) and has maybe got a bit a guilt about her loss of faith.  Not sure if the bombs got her "Sweetheart" or the Italian girl on the shore (was he Greek, or was there a Greek girl as well).  I love the pace of this song and the way it is sung makes you realise that although she has had a tough life, she still makes the best of everything.

You agree?

Patty Griffin is awesome.  Many of her songs have been made famous by other artists and a while back, I gave you this song to listen to.

No comments:

Post a Comment