"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Monday 16 July 2012

the perks of being a wallflower



This Stephen Chbosky novel has now been made into a movie (which is about to be released shortly), I have seen it mentioned on many fellow bloggers "My Bestest Books" lists and I thought it about time I read the book (even although it was published in 1999).  I have been disappointed too many times by not reading a book before seeing the movie.  One of the main joys of reading is to form your own pictures of the characters in your head.  So I think it best to read the book first and then see what Hollywood comes up with, sometimes you agree with their casting agent and other times not.  My mind is already boggling because they have cast Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher in the movies.  Just. Not. Right!!


Back to the book. It is a quick read, written with honesty and humour through Charlie, an awkward 15 year old who is about to start high school.  I am only going to post a couple of quotes from the book as I don't want to give away anything and say too much except, "Read it".  

“Sometimes, I look outside, and I think that a lot of other people have seen this snow before. Just like I think that a lot of other people have read those books before. And listened to those songs. I wonder how they feel tonight.”


This quote really rings true with me.  I remember as a teenager thinking weird things, like whether I was the first person in the world to see a particular raindrop as it fell or if I turned around and walked back to the corner a wish would come true?  I was forever taking bets with myself.  I was pretty weird.


"We didn’t talk about anything heavy or light. We were just there together. And that was enough."


Maybe these quotes are out of context and might make the book seem cheesy, it is not.  I highly recommended it.






No comments:

Post a Comment