"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 27 April 2012

this simple woman's daybook


FOR TODAY


Freedom Day in South Africa




Outside my window...


Outside my lounge window are leaves

and more leaves.   Autumn is here.


I am thinking...


that I should be outside raking leaves
and
that I must get organised and make supper for tomorrow night's dinner later today.  On that note I must also phone my mom and rest of the family to invite them over.  Hans is here from Holland and I am busy planning what to do tomorrow for the day (and what to cook for supper)


I am thankful...


that today is a public holiday.  Freedom Day - 18 years since our first democratic election in South Africa.  I am thankful to live in this beautiful country.  For all the problems that we still have, I still would not want to live anywhere else (OK, maybe New York but then I would want to be 25 years old and living in a brownstone house in Brooklyn and working on a magazine in Manhattan).


In the kitchen...
dirty dishes, need to finish up and get there


I am wearing...
for the first time this year, my fluffy blue dressing gown.  However I have just finished my cup of tea and have had an amazing flash of heat rise through my body, so I have stripped and it is lying on the table.  As a good friend once told me "it is my inner child playing with matches"


I am creating...
is writing this daily stuff "creating"?  It is about as creative as I can be at the moment and my mind is also trying to be creative in putting together a meal for tomorrow night's dinner (with a South African theme).  Boerie Rolls and Klippies and Coke?


I am going...
to meet some special friends at Forres at lunchtime.
I am wondering...
what I should wear?  Is the weather going to stay so grey?  Will we be sitting inside or outside?  Perhaps I can wear my new jersey.  (Grey melange if you were wondering).  I love adding "melange" it makes it sound so trendy.


I am reading...
Still "The Fry Cronicles".  Nic and I watched another episode of QI which I had PVR'd last night.  He and Allan Davies are a class act.  A quote from his book, which explains the style so well.  He uses words in the most awesome way.


"in every particular I fail Strunk's Elements of Style or any other manual of 'good writing'. If a thing can be said in ten words, I may be relied upon to take a hundred to say it... I love words and whilst I am fond of the condensed and economical use of them in poetry, in song lyrics, in Twitter, in good journalism and smart advertising, I love the luxuriant profusion and mad scatter of them too"


I am hoping...
that this grey weather will clear tomorrow.  I am hoping to take Hans into the country - Riebeeck Kasteel or Franschhoek.  Any suggestions?


but it must not clear now, because I want to wear my new grey jersey to lunch today.


I am looking forward to...
lunch today and meeting the new man in Nicky's life (and wearing my new grey jersey)


I am learning...
that this Super 15 rugby game I am involved in is not for me.  How difficult can it be to predict a winning team?  You have a 50/50 chance.  Why can't I get it right?  Guessing the score is luck but choosing a winner has never been this hard.  I did not go with my heart for this first game Blues vs Reds.  I asked my rugby journalist son (who is doing quite well in the game) - he said Blues, Michael said Blues - everyone was going for the Blues.  Who is in the lead?  Reds!!


Around the house...
things are neat and tidy (except the dishes needing to be stacked into the dishwasher and all the leaves outside).  The rugby is playing from every room and would be enjoyable if the Blues were leading the Reds.


I am pondering...
What is the difference between pondering and wondering and thinking?


A favorite quote for today...
"The thing that is really hard, and really amazing, is giving up on being perfect and beginning the work of becoming yourself."

Anna Quindlen


from this wonderful blog.  Take a look when you have time.  All the things I love New York, music, quotes and some very honest and spunky writing. (I want Nic to meet her!!)


which is exactly this from Pinterest:-


One of my favorite things...


Love this song at the moment.  His voice reminds me of Sting and Gill and I have been listening to this for a couple of weeks now so thought I would share.



A few plans for the rest of the week:
Lovely long weekend.  Pizza tonight, day in the country tomorrow but for now I have half an hour to get showered and ready for my lunch date at Forres (and tidy the kitchen).  Pictures to follow.


A peek into my day...
I think we have pretty much covered everything


Enjoy your Freedom Day too!!

No comments:

Post a Comment