"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 17 April 2012

if it's tuesday this must be belgium

Do any of you remember this movie?  I think it was the first "grown up" movie that I saw and I was all of 10 years old.  It was about a group of people during a Contiki type tour through Europe.


I often reply "then it must be Belgium" if someone asks "Is it Tuesday?" and they don't really get what I mean (but that happens a lot).  I don't remember much of the movie except the song and the title though, so seeing this clip was like seeing for the first time.  Another older movie and one I was thinking about the other day was "Spring and Port Wine".  It starred James Mason with Susan George as one of his daughters.  This was also set in the early 70's and I remember thinking that Susan George was the most beautiful woman in the world.  I wanted my hair to look just like hers, I wanted to be her.  I remember this movie well and perhaps I did see it again in later years.  It was filmed in Bolton in the UK (go Bolton Wanderers) and I remember thinking that it was really a movie about nothing - about everyday life - a family saga set in times where the father ruled the home and laid down the rules.  If I remember correctly it had a happy ending too.  I would love to see it again.

I enjoy everyday believable things.  I do wonder why things have to be so far fetched in movies and novels - why do we have to read murder mysteries and spy stories and things that, hopefully, are never going to happen to us and are so unbelievable?  I think I am a realist.  OK, best check what a realist is:-

Positive Traits: Clear-headed, Gets the big-picture, Grounded, Non-judgmental, Objective, Sees both sides of things, Sees the world as it really is, Sorts out fact from fiction
Negative Traits: Biased, Jumps to conclusions with insufficient facts, Struggles with choices, Subjective, Supposition, Won't see point of view of others

Ooooh dear, not so sure now - not that clear headed, I often do get the big picture though - so tick, pretty grounded - tick, I try to be non-judgemental but I am afraid..........(I am a bit of a "my first impressions are right" kind of person), objective and see both sides of things - tick,  sees the world as it is and sorts out facts from fiction - tick.
Oooops - the negative traits are pretty spot on except I do try very hard to see other people's point of view (but they won't change mine!!)

I am definitely not a pragmatist:-

Positive Traits: Efficient, Functional, Organized, Practical, Rule-based, Simple, Structured, Utilitarian view of life
Negative Traits: Anal-retentive, Boring, Creates red-tape, Dogmatic, Inflexible, Narrow-minded, Pedantic, Rigid

Simple (minded) I can tick though!!

But what is the opposite of a realist, an idealist?

Positive Traits: Ability to coalesce ideals, Cheerful, Optimistic, Finds new ways of doing things, Makes a positive mark in the world, Sees the bright side of life, Sees the world as how it "should" be, 
Negative Traits: False expectations, Greatly disappointed, Out of touch with real world, Naive, Pie in the sky, Unrealistic outlook

I would like to be an idealist and think that I am cheerful and optimistic and I do see the bright side of life.  I find it hard to follow a recipe and always try to find a "new way".

But Ooooops - those negative traits would be pretty awful to live with.

A realistic idealist - mmmmm...............

This is turning into a lot of nonsense (I apologise).  All I wanted to do was mention that today was Tuesday, then the Belgium thing came into it which led me to Spring and Port Wine, then how I enjoy believable stuff.

The reason I wanted to mention Tuesday is because I took some pictures in my courtyard early this morning (today is still Tuesday).  It was rather grey early this morning but the light was wonderful and the green in the courtyard looked a much deeper and less bright green.  I thought I would share the pictures with you.



Heading out with Lesley, Dalene and Kathy tonight to see Ruby Wax in Camps Bay.  The four of us have not been out together for ages and I best hurry home and try to get a bit pretty.  Starting with some sushi and champagne at Kathy in an hour.  Forget Ruby Wax writing Absolutely Fabulous, she may be lucky enough to meet the original Fab Four!!  (Joking hey?)

A modest realistic idealist!!


Sorry Mom!!

2 comments:

  1. Stunning pics of the courtyard. Can't wait hear about Ruby Wax!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh - thank you caroline - a new follower - yeah!!!

    ReplyDelete