"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Monday 30 April 2012

old school photographs and a new friend

A few favourite photographs from the weekend
I stole this one from Nic.  A friend of his had taken it with old expired film, hence the grainy look.  Old school and with the moustache and horn-rimmed glasses this could be his dad in the early 80's (but his dad did not wear glasses).
Lunch at Baa Baa Black Sheep in Riebeeck Kasteel with Hans on Saturday.  Hans is the proverbial Flying Dutchman (he works for KLM) so was in Cape Town for the weekend and spent Saturday and Sunday with us.  Since the Barber wedding in November when we all got to know each other, Hans has been back once again with Siobhan, his lovely wife and twice on his own.  This time we did into the country and a visit to my favourite nursery (and nurseryman).  He has the most amazing bonsai collection (and they are not usually my best).  It is like a miniature Sherwood forest.
Saturday night we had the family around for supper.  Traditional babotie and rice, table set, wine chilled.  It was supposed to be supper for 14 but poor Tom (my sister's husband) had a freak fall into a swimming pool, dislocated his ankle, broke his tibia, severed ligaments and had to get stretchered to hospital in an ambulance.  He is still in hospital awaiting surgery on Wednesday morning.  I saw him this evening and he is his usual chirpy self but he is in for a long stint on crutches, operations to remove plates and pins and re-attach ligaments.  Poor guy.
On Sunday a walk in Kalk Bay followed by breakfast at Boulangerie

The breakfast
The harbour
I'm getting into this "old school" sepia vibe
Add some red
Paint the town red!!
I fancy a house on the hill with a view of the sea

I had a lovely time with Hans.  It made me realise how few male friends I have.  OK, there are lots of men that I know and would call friends but that is usually because they are Michael's friends, my friends husbands or boyfriends, friends of friends but they are not really my own friends.  Some of my girlfriends have male friends and Kathy, for one, probably has as many male friends as female friends.  After dropping off Hans at his hotel yesterday and saying goodbye, I realised that after his couple of visits to Cape Town and after this weekend where we spent time in the car travelling and chatting, eating, drinking (and more chatting) and lots of laughing, I can call him my friend.  It was great to hear his male perspective on parenting and so many other things and to know that we have common ground.  He is no longer my friend just because he is Lucie's cousin's husband (and because Siobhan and her sister Colette became instant friends of Dalene and I).  I feel that I have got to know him as Hans and I think that I am also maybe no longer David's sister to him.  I think I can stop introducing him as such and just say "This is my friend Hans".



No comments:

Post a Comment