"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 31 January 2012

the love of the ampersand


brianhoff_tdc11

From Wikipedia:-


An ampersand (or epershand; "&") is a logogram representing the conjunction word "and". This symbol is a ligature of the letters in et, Latin for "and".

Who would have thought that choosing a font could be so difficult.  I had my very own personal designer Bielle (aka Gabrielle Ross) help me a while back with a "header type logo" for my new website.

I am nearly there and need to start preparing you for the exciting change-over (hopefully next week) but I am still struggling with sizing the pictures correctly.  Gareth wants me to change over now but I want it to look pretty much as perfect as I can get it before I show it off to you.  I should really invest in attending a computer course to learn about downloading pictures and how to size them correctly but it's the same old "so much to do and learn, so little time (and money)".

There are also so many choices and the more choices I have the more confused I become.

I have a love of ampersands.  It started when I did a calligraphy course when the boys were still at junior school.  One of their teachers ran an evening class once a week and it was great fun to sit around her kitchen counter practicing with all your new nibs and inks (I think some wine drinking was also involved).  Ampersands together with arrows are the two things that I always doodle and my notes always have little arrows pointing through ampersands or ampersands curling all over the page.
Pinned Image

A couple of the thousands of choices out there:-
trajan

bickham

enge

guanine

harrington

goudyoldstyle


Pinned Image
Don't you love them?  

I have the new name for my blog - AFTERNOONS & COFFEESPOONS.  There is a bit of background stemming from my love of the Crash Test Dummies and the memories that Brad Robert's voice and the words of his songs evoke - mostly good, some sad and a few bad but all a part of my life but I will tell you more before I announce the move.  

Here is the song (once again for the old faithfulls):-



and here is the header:-
afternoons & coffeespoons

Do you like it?  

Note instead of an arrow through the ampersand, I have a coffeespoon.  I suppose you are confused and thinking "Jenny, coffeespoons?".   My afternoons do not usually involve coffeespoons (in fact I don't even drink coffee anymore) but I think it has a nice ring to it, it means a lot to me and I am sure you are going to enjoy it too (and hardly could I have a wine bottle as the strike through - or could I?)

Coming soon - maybe next week for my birthday?!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment