"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 17 January 2012

clever stuff

I have been making a folder of clever things I have seen on Pinterest over the last couple of weeks.   Don't register and start collecting and pinning pictures if you don't have time to spare - it sucks you in, big time and before you know it you are making folders and collecting pictures and quotes; filing recipes (that you probably will never make); admiring tables settings and kitchens and taking off in your dreams to wonderful holiday destinations, dream homes and island beaches.

Here is something different though - practical stuff.  I could do with being a bit more practical.

Pinned Image
No more soggy muesli but I foresee a serious wastage of milk.

Pinned Image

Chop, chop, chop - in the bin

Pinned Image
Good idea but you need to have the space.  Garage?

This is what I want to get started.  Down our lane leading to the washing line, outside the back kitchen door, where there is some direct sun.
Pinned Image
My courtyard garden is just too shady and herbs do not do well there.  Have any of you seen the vertical garden on the corner of Kildare and Colinton Road?  It is the first I have seen in our area and it is basically just a vertical lawn with the number of the house planted in a different type of grass.  I like it (a lot).  I will get  around to take a picture for you soon.  But here are some other vertical ideas.
Pinned Image

Pinned Image

Pinned Image
Then Mason Jars - Americans use them for everything and every vintage wedding uses jars for cocktails and for vases.  Here are some other uses:-
Pinned Image
Definitely going to try this.  I am getting tired of the plastic lettuce packets which pop and get squashed in your veggie drawer in the fridge.  I have even been thinking of tracking down a Tupperware salesperson (do you get Tupperware anymore?) to get one of those old school "lettuce keepers". (Showing my age).  But these jars will work and I saw them at that Plastic Warehouse factory shop near Access Park over Christmas.
Steel Cut Oatmeal and Berries in a Jar

Pinned Image
Recipes and more ideas on this website.

Then before I get far too sensible and you think I am losing it completely - This is the best idea, I have seen in a long time.  I know that Pick n Pay now sell the Sinful Lemon Sorbet (at a price) but with the heat that we have been experiencing over the last week, how about a Margarita Float?

Lime Sorbet Margaritas
From the Real Simple website (what ever happened to that magazine?)

No comments:

Post a Comment