"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Sunday 8 January 2012

going with your gut feelings


Ever since I heard about the ANC 100th birthday celebrations in Bloemfontein this weekend with 120 000 supporters attending the rallies and festivities I have had an uneasy feeling in my stomach.  Matthew is heading back to Bloemfontein today.

This morning I woke up at 6 after a horrible, worried night's sleep to get his padkos (high protein, low GI, fat free) together.  He has been here for nearly three weeks and it has been wonderful having him home  (hectic keeping the fridge stocked with high protein, fat free produce - but great). He leaves today for a long 11 hour drive (on his own) to Bloemfontein.

The whole night I kept having visions of taxi's all jam packed with supporters leaving Bloemfontein to get back to their home towns in time for work tomorrow.  I had visions of a tired Matthew having to deal with headlights and traffic coming towards him at the end of his long journey, in the dark.  Nevermind bringing driver incompetence, overloaded taxis, unroadworthy vehicles and recklessness into the equation.

I put all the  water bottles in the freezer (expected temperature of 34 degrees in Cape Town today, so you can imagine how steamy the ride to Bloemfontein would be).  I made his chicken breast sandwiches (no butter, fat free cottage cheese, salad and low fat mayo).  He woke up and took a shower.  Our passage is filled with his kit to be packed into his car (golf clubs, computer, computer speakers, bags of clothing, gym equipment and rugby training stuff).

As he was about to start packing the car I thought I would take a quick look at what the airfares to Bloemfontein would be.  He is usually based in Kimberley and I know how ridiculous the fares to get there are (nearly R3 500 return from Cape Town).  However, there was a Mango flight tonight to Bloemfontein for R1 200. A quick discussion, a phone call to a friend to see if he can collect him tonight and the flight is booked.

When I saw the relief in his eyes, I knew it was the right decision.  He has been struggling with muscle spasms in his back and has to be ready to start full on training tomorrow morning.  11 hours behind the wheel would not have helped and the petrol alone would have cost him the same amount.  OK he will not have a car but he will make a plan to get it to him if he needs it.

He is still in the Cheetahs Super 15 squad and I have another gut feeling that he will still be in the squad in February when they come to Cape Town to play the Stormers.  We can sort out the cars then.

I am quite into my gut feelings at the moment.

 Saturday morning breakfast at Michael's in Rondebosch with the boys


No comments:

Post a Comment