"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 30 August 2011

the art of laughing



As you know Gill and I share an office.  We have been through the mill together (and a tumble drier at times) and have that kind of understanding that a quick head around the computer at exactly the same time is all that is needed.  Gill has an amazing ability to laugh which I wish that I had also been blessed with.  Not a normal giggle or snuffled chuckle that I will have if I find something funny. She laughs so hard at times that I worry she is going to stop breathing or fall off her chair.  I also know what makes her laugh.  I am not a funny person and I can make her laugh.  She laughs well and she laughs easily.  She does not only laugh at happy funny stuff.  Her best is laughing at other people's misfortune.  You know those YouTube videos where fat ladies fall out of boats, old men nod off to sleep and fall off their seats, brides fall off ramps and into lakes, birds peck at little boys winkies through their short pants - that kind of thing.  Whenever I get one of those emails I immediately forward it to Gill and then wait.  Only once she opens it and starts laughing, can I start laughing.


My children could not believe it when, years ago, I watched an entire Jim Carey movie without laughing once.  I think it was that Dumb and Dumber movie - whole movie and not even one smile with three little faces (who had seen the movie 5 times) watching me watch the movie.  I don't have much of a sense of humour.  


So back to what makes one person find something so funny and another to struggle to give a small smile.  I love John Cleese and Fawlty Towers always manages to make me laugh.  Michael McIntyre on a Tuesday night is pretty funny as is Ricky Gervais.  I also laugh at Graham Norton.  So, if I had to list things that I do find funny, I am not such a misery after all.   


Cyanide and Happiness are one of those cartoons that I don't really get every time (but I am getting better). These I found the other day and they made me chuckle (a little):-








cyanide and happiness - drawing boobs
Cyanide and Happiness, a daily webcomic


Well on further investigation I realise that there is help at hand for people like me.  People who have difficulty really letting go and laughing.   All that it needs is a trip to New York.  Like any other craft that you can take lessons in and learn to do, you can also learn to laugh.  Please read this article.


Imagine heading off to Laughing Lessons.  I have a cheaper idea.  Take Lesley to a yoga class.


I am reminded me of the time, about 25 years ago when I started yoga lessons at this proper sufi temple in Rondebosch East.  I was going 3 times a week and was starting to feel the benefits and look like Cindy Crawford (sans the mole).  I begged Lesley, who lived a couple of doors away from me to come and join me.  Well, this was another mistake in my life.   We entered the room filled with burning incense.  Lesley found herself a mat directly in front of me (second mistake).  The "umm ummmm ummmming" was fine and we got through that.  Clearing the sinuses was next and I could see Lesley's face looking at this rather round (very fat), dirty footed hippie next to her as the hippie chick made sure that her sinuses emptied completely and would never block again.  Next, lying flat on your back on your mat, came the instruction for the proper pelvic tilt (I think it is position 251 of the Karma Sutra).  The yogi turned to Lesley and said (in a very polite and gentle way) - "As a first timer, I just want to warn you that expelling air through your vagina is perfectly healthy and normal and also good for you".  With that I saw Lesley's body start shaking.  Not just a giggling shoulder shake but her body started convulsing without a sound coming out of her mouth.  How she does that, I do not know (she still does it) but it set me off.  The fat, now snot-free lady next to her was just getting herself in the "expelling air from the vagina" position and we decided it was time to evacuate the building.  We raced out of the temple and ran all the way home.  That was the end of yoga for me, forever and I was never to return to the sacred temple.




Yoga positions vector
Top centre is the one!!


Close up view


Then on an even lighter note:-








Cartoon: Library (medium) by Alexei Talimonov tagged library,yoga,humor,books,literature
I don't really get this one but it fitted the topic for today!!!
(Please explain)

Bedtime now, and to close I found a list of dangerous side effects of what may happen if you abuse the "best medicine"
  1. Peeing in Your Pants — common and inconvenient; can be remedied with Kegel exercises that strengthen the pubococcus muscle. (OR PROBABLY THE YOGA PELVIC TILT)
  2. Pooping in Your Pants — less common, but almost unavoidable if you have a bug and the laugh contractions loosen your abdomen. (DON'T WANT TO GO THERE)
  3. Vomiting Through Your Nose — painful, anti-social, and often leads to emetophobia. (THIS HAPPENS TO ME OFTEN WITH WINE BUT NEVER VOMIT - THANK GOODNESS)
  4. Death — in 1989 Ole Bentzen was killed in a movie theater by John Cleese’s antics in A Fish Called Wanda. The Dane’s happy heart was destroyed when his pulse neared 500 bpm. (I WAS BEING SENSIBLE WHEN WATCHING DUMB AND DUMBER, NOT ENTIRELY HUMOURLESS)

No comments:

Post a Comment