"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 26 August 2011

gewurtztraminer and nasturtiums



I have a friend
who is back from a long holiday
visiting friends and wonderful places
with big lakes and waterfalls
Who attended a reunion in France where she
arranged flowers for a party of 300 guests
and ate goats cheese and macaroons


I have a friend who arrived to visit me yesterday
at my office,
only for a hug
because she has just heard the sad news
and she is so sad,
sad that she did not know
and sad that she was away and having fun
while I was not

I have a friend who
later, the same day
arrived for a longer visit
armed with a fusion of
nasturtiums, poppadoms and a 20 year old bottle of
expensive looking Gewurztraminer

She arranged the flowers
beautifully and carefully
while I opened her aged bottle of wine,
the cork crumbled
I strained out the crumbles of cork and poured out the
dark yellow syrupy liquid
We tasted it
and quickly poured it down the drain

A new bottle was opened
with a modern label
and a screw-top cap
It did not look nearly as historic
or romantic
but we drank it
and ate poppadoms
dry,
without curry
and talked and laughed and
she cried some more
and we laughed some more

She left with her aged wine
(it was a wonderful bottle)
and a collection of bottle tops for someone who makes
magic out of them
and our dried garden leaves for her compost
(which Michael collects for her)

And as she took off down the road
(at speed)
in her car filled with treasures
I realised how lucky I am to have a someone like her
in my life
who cares
and is not afraid to be different
She says what she feels
and it does not matter whether she is in France
arranging expensive flowers
and drinking expensive wines
or in my kitchen
placing hand picked nasturtiums in a jug
while throwing expensive foreign wine down the drain
and then enjoying
the local supermarket blend
with a friend






No comments:

Post a Comment