"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 26 May 2011

cowabunga - another 200 word challenge

matthew, justin, gareth and nic


of all my photographs this is a favourite.  don’t you love it when you look at a picture and the whole story unfolds?  march 1990. i was not even there when it was taken but at home very ill with hepatitis. justin is the 4th turtle. kathy had taken the boys out for the day. my doctor was deciding whether or not to admit me to hospital. i remember being pretty much out of things, very tearful and unable to wake up.  i begged not to be admitted. the previous 2 weeks were one fuzzy blur. i was itchy, nauseous, had a constant headache and high fever. between cold baths i slept. my eyes and skin were bright yellow and the only thing that did not make me ill was pineapple juice. family and friends rallied around.

this particular saturday when i eventually opened my eyes, at the bottom of the bed were my 3 little ninjas, faces painted and each carrying a few plucked daisies. they were full of excitement about their fun day and jumped into bed with me. i can still smell that little boy smell of sweaty hair, face-paint, salty skin and pink fizzers.

(200 exactly!!)


No comments:

Post a Comment