i spent last night looking for "the book" notes and on going through my papers found this bit of trivia you may or may not have seen.
the simple but often forgotten rules of english:-
- avoid alliteration. always
- prepositions are not words to end sentences with
- avoid cliches like the plague
- parenthetical remarks (however relevant) are unnecessary. (what about the - dash -?)
- it is wrong to ever split an infinitive
- one should never generalize
- contractictions aren't necessary
- elimate quotations. as ralph emerson once said "i hate quotations. tell me what you know"
- comparisons are as bad as cliches
- don't be redundant; don't use more words than necessary; it's highly superfluous
- be more or less specific
- understatement is always best
- exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement
- one word sentences? eliminate
- who needs rhetorical questions?
miss jones, my english teacher at "that school" is not on my mailing list........yet. she may one day be proud of me!!