"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Thursday 15 December 2011

looking for the spirit

I have had the box of Christmas decorations hidden under my table for about 2 weeks now. On Wednesday night after drinks with Bielle and Storm for their graduation (how lovely for their mum to have both lovely daughters graduate at the same ceremony) and a lovely meal at our playgroup reunion (Ginny, Judy, Nicci and I started a playgroup over 25 years ago and we still meet whenever we can for a meal and a catch up), I came home (and did not feel very tired) and decided that now was the time to see what was in the box.  It is always a surprise package and as I had turfed out the lopsided tree some other form of decoration was needed.
 This is now my tree - a bit small but it will do the job
 Fairy lights and the Nutcracker on the mantlepiece
 Angels hanging on a heart with fairy lights
 Do you like my alternative angel for the top of the tree?  She is gorgeous and all
dressed up in her winter woollies (not unlike us in Cape Town at the moment)
Our mammoth table with the white Christmas trees I bought at the @home sale years ago
(also note my "brand new old" lace tablecloth - thanks Colleen)

So last night I turned off the big lights (much to Michael's dismay) switched on the Christmas lights and we ate our fish and chips takeaways to candlelight and Christmas lights.  Matthew is arriving home this morning (he phoned from Beaufort West last night).  So happy that he does not have to do the long drive from Bloemfontein in one day.  Kathy is having a party for her niece who is arriving from Hong Kong this evening, Michael and I are heading out in a bit (he is nearly ready and  waiting for me and I still have to shower - oops) to do some shopping.  Top of the list is a new hosepipe, some oil for our new table (which has had to withstand the winter conditions and rain of the last couple of days).  So things are happening, it is a public holiday and I think I have found some spirit (and I have not started making my potent eggnog yet!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment