"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Saturday 11 January 2014

photos and memories

I have been trying to sort out some bookshelves this week to make space for books that have been stored at Albion Road.  Cleaning and sorting always takes much longer for me and I realise now why I do not do it as often as I should. It takes me on a completely different path and opens so many cans of worms.  On the one bookshelf I found a box of old photographs.  I had to take a picture and forward one to Kathy yesterday and after doing that, I thought "Something in here for a blog?".  A short blog where every picture tells a story (bear/bare with me though, nothing is brief with me)

This one started it all:-


Kathy and Vaughan in Plettenberg Bay

This picture was probably taken 20 years ago.   Vaughan died about 16 years ago.  This picture brought back so many memories.  I love the way they look like brother and sister and their poses are exactly the same.  I remember this old house we rented so clearly - an old double story on Central Beach. It was only supposed to sleep 6 or 8 but in true style we ended up with about 20 people for the Knysna Half Marathon sleeping wherever they could find a corner.  Tents in the garden and thank goodness for an outside dormitory type room where the many children set up camp. This was the morning we were supposed to be packing up to leave.  We had had a really big party the night before.  Vaughan was so much a part of this time of our lives.  His energy and enthusiasm were contagious (although you would not say from this picture). He built amazing sandcastles and dug trenches with the boys, he made jugs of amazing cocktails and fed us hangover breakfasts of toast, raw egg yolk, onion rings and cavier. He introduced me to Van Morrison. I miss him.

Boys and my Grandpa Carlson

This was Nic's 4th birthday (actually I see the candles in the background now and it was probably Matthew's 3rd birthday!!).  My grandpa was a lovely old man who never showed much affection when I was young.  I remember kissing him and he would always give me his cheek with his tongue marking the spot where the kiss should land.  He loved my boys and was very involved when they were little, even looking after Gareth one morning a week when I was pregnant with Nicholas.  He loved to come and visit me in the mornings and play a bit of soccer or cricket with them on the lawn.  This was probably the last picture I have with him and all three boys.  He died about 2 years later. A special man

A collage of fun with Nicky

This was made for me after her death by her daughter, Chantal.  Each picture has a whole story to it and brought back floods of good memories.  I think of her everyday, I see ladies in supermarkets with hair like her or a scarf like her but it is never her.  I often think "What would Nicky think about this? Where is Nicky today when I need her?".  The "Peace in the Home" she planted in my garden continues to grow and has spread into the lawn and made a thick carpet.  Her spirit continues to shine and even more so now in the two precious babies that Chantal and Werner are expecting soon.  The most special friend ever.

And on a happier note.  I love this picture.

Tom and Dalene

My little sister and Tom are about to break all family records.  Married for 30 years on Monday. Marriage is never easy and theirs has been no different except that they have supported each other loyally and have stuck together through some pretty rough times.  I am so proud of them and the lovely daughters they have produced who are growing into wonderful young ladies with strong opinions and morals.

So tonight I am having a dinner party for the family.  We have quite a lot to celebrate.  My brother and Lucie are back from the UK where they spent Christmas and New Year, Gareth, Lucie and Rob have had birthdays in December and January which have not been celebrated properly, Steve and Caroline announced their engagement on New Year's eve and then the 30th wedding anniversary. Dalene is expecting Lesley and I to dress in our bridesmaid dresses.  This is the closest she is going to get!!

January 1984

Best I leave blogging now and start getting organised for tonight.  17 people for supper.  Any ideas on what to cook Nix?  I have a song though.


Well, it's a marvelous night for a moondance

With the stars up above in your eyes
A fantabulous night to make romance
Neath the cover of October skies
And all the leaves on the trees are falling
To the sound of the breezes that blow
And I'm trying to please to the calling
Of your heart-strings that play soft and low
And all the nights magic seems to whisper and hush
And all the soft moonlight seems to shine in your blush

Chorus:
Can I just have one a more moondance with you, my love
Can I just make some more romance with a-you, my love

Well, I wanna make love to you tonight
I can't wait 'til the morning has come
And I know that the time is just right
And straight into my arms you will run
And when you come my heart will be waiting
To make sure that you're never alone
There and then all my dreams will come true, dear
There and then I will make you my own
And every time I touch you, you just tremble inside
And I know how much you want me that you can't hide

Chorus

Repeat 1st verse

One more moondance with you in the moonlight
On a magic night
La, la, la, la in the moonlight
On a magic night
Can't I just have one more dance with you my love


No comments:

Post a Comment