"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 30 October 2013

how to spend R700 without really trying...

I did a small cosmetic shop at Clicks the other day (although a shop there is never small or cheap).  I needed a new foundation and basically everything on my dressing table was standing on it's head.  Over the last couple of weeks I have been hearing about this new fantastic "BB Cream" from Bobbi Brown (or Estee Lauder or Mac).  Everyone seems to be talking about them and I have had to keep quiet (not usually like me) because I did not know what a blooming "BB Cream" was (it does not stand for Bobbi Brown).  So after seeing a couple of these creams on the shelves at Clicks, noticing that they were pretty cheap, contained a SPF of 15 and working out for myself that it was basically a "tinted moisturiser", I bought myself one from Sorbet (which I did not know they sold at Clicks).  I opened the box when I got home and read the instructions.  Nowhere on the box or in the instructions did it tell me what "BB" stands for.  So I was still in the dark.

Thanks Wikipedia for this:-

BB cream stands for blemish balmblemish basebeblesh balm (apparently because of a trademark in Korea on the word "blemish"), and in Western markets,beauty balm. It is a cosmetic item sold mainly in East and Southeast Asia, although larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB creams to Western markets.[2]
BB cream is promoted as an all-in-one facial cosmetic product to replace serum, moisturizer, primer, foundation and sunblock.[3] It can be worn alone as a tinted moisturizer, over serum and moisturizer as a regular foundation, and under powder, depending on the desired amount of coverage.[2]
More here


I have now tried it - I must say for R99 it is a whole lot cheaper than my usual foundation and it feels nice and light on my skin.  

Next, another arb bit of shopping information and cosmetic enlightenment:-

Argan Oil 

Dalene has been speaking about this Moroccan Argan Oil which you get at the health shop and is wonderful to use under your night cream (I don't have a night cream, I use Baby Bottom Cream, remember).  On visiting Kathy's bathroom the other day I saw her shelf filled with all lovely different blue containers of "Moroccan Argan Oil".  I did not have my glasses on but, once again, I was feeling slightly left out of this "Argan Oil Conspiracy" between my sister and my best friend.  I dipped my fingers into the jar, it smelt rather nice and, as I was heading home and to bed soon, I decided to dot some under my eyes (and rub it into my hands and arms (and neck)).  Mainly because of the smell, because I am honest and the greasy look around my eyes, I confessed to Kathy and asked her where she had bought it.  "Oh" says she (with a smile on her face) "the one in the tub is the hair conditioner" and she had bought the entire range of hair products in America.

So after my little shop at Clicks (I did not see any Argan Oil there) I headed to the health shop and bought myself a sample size of this "miracle" oil for R55


I tried it last night.  To get three drops out of the bottle I had to shake it so vigorously it definitely will be toning my upper arms as well.  This morning my eyes are so sunken in my face from lack of sleep (awake from 3.30 to 5 chatting to Matthew and playing Bubble Shooter (confession and don't start - It is pointless and addictive - 120124 points my record) on my new iPhone (some stories to tell there) that I can certainly see no overnight miracle.

So, sorry for those of you that I have bored because you already know what a BB Cream is and have been using Argan Oil since it first came to SA in 2008 (why didn't you tell me?) but for the rest I hope you have found this information educational.  I still don't know whether it is a Blemish Balm or a Beauty Balm (and what is "beblesh")

I am off to shower now, to use my new Nivea "In Shower Moisturiser" and Aussie "Miracle Frizz" Shampoo and hair masque.  I can forget about my usual moisturiser while I rub in my BB Cream and I will use my new chocolate and orange flavour "Rumpy Plumpy" Lip Plumper (I kid you not).  Made by "Dirty Works" (good clean fun).

Who can resist the packaging? (Not I).

Maybe I should also test the new "Safeway Electronic Digital - Up to 150kgs Scale" at the reduced bargain price of R259.  Maybe next Monday.....

No comments:

Post a Comment