"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Saturday 5 October 2013

to share or not to share

I found this link on Facebook early this morning.  I have read it and re-read it. I have been sitting at my computer for ages now wondering if it is a story that I should "share". It, for some reason, does not feel like the right thing to do. Is sharing it now on my blog the right thing to do?  Better option, I think and I am doing it only because this story has made me think and has made me cry.

The body of Rosemary Theron was discovered this week.  She had been missing since March.  I don't remember reading anything in the papers or hearing anything on the radio about a mother of three from Clovelly going missing at the time.  You now know the rest of the story.  Her daughter, her then boyfriend and an accomplice have been arrested for her murder.  The papers have been full of stories this week.

The story I want to share was published by Mahala last month, before Rosemary's body was discovered. Mahala is a great publication to which Nic subscribes.  The magazine used to arrive here and I would page through it. Some great articles but also a lot of "young stuff" which goes a bit over my head.  I think it is now only available online.  

Read the article here but read the comments as well.  This is where the tragedy comes in.  

I think that the article was well written.  Christopher Clark wrote it as he would a blog post.  It was not intended to be a news article.  It was his view. The fact that Rosemary's body and murder has come to light in this last week changes the whole story.  The comments of both Richard and Gareth are heartfelt and makes you see the whole tragedy from a different angle.  Her friends are hurting.  Was Christopher out of line?  I don't think so.  

Who are we to judge and who gives us the right to?  But we do.  We read the newspaper article and in our heads we immediately form our own opinion of mother with three children from different fathers who dresses like a hippy and works as a clown.  We are only unknown, inquisitive voyeurs looking in from the outside.  

There is another story here.  There are so many stories.

I feel so sad.

RIP Rosemary - I was guilty of making up my own story, I know nothing. Your death has taught me something today







No comments:

Post a Comment