"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 7 May 2013

you say tomatoes, i say tomatoes

Dalene and I shared a hysterical couple of minutes on BBM last night.  I got the following message:-

Dalene:  Hell (smiley face) was wondering if you want to take Tom's ticket for Justin Bieber on Wednesday night?

Me (being diplomatic, her husband is away for the week but she knows about me and my music): Didn't you already ask Kathy, she seemed very keen

Dalene:  I have another.... A mom at school booked online when Amy could not get her ticket at Computicket, so we ended up with two lots and I still have one extra.

Me:  You could probably sell it for thousands outside the ground.  Me at Justin Bieber would be like me walking your daschunds (too emboeressing)

Dalene:  (hundreds of smiley faces) heeheheheeeehee...I just took a bet with Kathy and we wanted to see your priceless reply.  I said to her that you like him as much as you like my DOGS.  Always said we should go on "Check your Mate" ... ha ha.  Please come, we could have fun.

Me:  Find someone else, I will babysit your dogs. xxx

We would do very well on a "Check your Mate" quizz and, if I must say so myself, we are brilliant at 30 Seconds.  Mainly because I have very strong likes and dislikes so it is a matter of her saying "The pop star you dislike more than Elvis" "Michael Jackson".  "The movie we saw when you wore that new long grey coat" "Steel Magnolias".  "That awful, croaky, depressive singer with the ugly face that you love and that you played in the car all the way from Cape Town to Knysna" "Leonard Cohen".  We can't go wrong.  You should challenge us sometime.  The only way you can beat us is if you feed us too much wine and we start saying things like "It rhymes with shoot cake".  So maybe it is not so difficult.

So, if we are so close and know each other so well why do we have exactly the opposite taste in music (and dogs).  Really weird.  Dalene loved Donny Osmond and David Cassidy.  She loved the musicals and played the Sound of Music and Jesus Christ Superstar for years (she still watches the Sound of Music).  She knows all the music from the Phantom and plays Les Miserables in her car.  She loved the Bee Gees, while I listened to Bread.  She went for the Carpenters while I loved Bob Dylan. 

OK she does have teenage girls but she now listens to Lady Gaga, Justin Bieber and Rihana.  She is even off to the concert tomorrow night.

Anyone looking for a ticket?

My new favourite song - Could you get further from Bieber?













1 comment:

  1. Jen, please fill me in on the "shoot cake"! loved this> xxx Nix

    ReplyDelete