"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Friday 10 May 2013

so true

"It’s the oldest story in the world. One day, you’re 17 and you’re planning for someday. And then quietly, without you’re ever really noticing, someday is today. And then someday is yesterday. And this is your life."
— Nathan Scott

It took me awhile to find this quote, which I had saved for the right time.  Today it seemed very apt.

My 17 year old niece spent some time with us last night.  We had supper and listened to stories of her busy life, of school and hockey practices and lots about the Justin Bieber concert.  We saw pictures of her friend who was lucky enough to have made eye contact with the guy, we heard about the evening and the fun that was had, we heard about the boys that were at the concert and whose shoulders she sat on.  We saw pictures of the boys (whose shoulders she sat on) and heard about the decisions that she has to make.

After she had left I came through to my computer and caught up with some emails.  In my inbox was the treat of a wonderful email from a friend's daughter.  10 years older than Amy and living and working overseas, full of love and sunshine and looking forward to her visit home at the end of the month.  10 years older, somewhat more worldly and wiser, with the world at her feet but also with decisions to make.

It made me think back to when I was 17 how the decisions I made then affected my life, when I was 27 I was close to having my third son and how my decisions at 17 had already influenced my life.  I realised then that perhaps I was a bit dismissive and unconcerned about the "crisis" in the life of a 17 year old and how the decisions she makes now can impact her life.

These decisions whether you are 17 or 27 will be made and it is only when you look back do you realise how that one decision could have changed the whole path of your life.  Today I look back and that decision at 17 was probably the best decision of my life because it made my life what it is today.  

No regrets. This is my life.  

Thanks for that Nathan Scott (whoever you are).

PS.  Had to look it up.  It is a quote from "One Tree Hill" - don't know the show but he is the hunky lead.  Nice words anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment