"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Tuesday 4 December 2012

pre-empting disaster..


Jan and Ellen popped around the other night to taste some wine and collect their order.  I served Ellen her wine in one of my new glasses

She commented on the lovely glass (and the excellent wine) and in her very wise voice said "I hope you are not letting Albertina near these glasses".

Dear Albertina - a member of our family for over 20 years who now also works for Jan and Ellen one day a week - but the proverbial "bull in a china shop".

Yesterday  morning as I sat preparing my blog, putting up the pictures of my 2 new champagne glasses with the champagne, sitting admiring them and how beautifully they photographed, sitting being busy and totally aware of what was going on in my kitchen.
There was not much to be done as the dishwasher was full and busy.  There was a roasting pan to wash and about 6 glasses (four of them my new lacey ones).  

Albertina was at work.  The radio was blaring out Xhosa gospel music, she was singing along and at the same time giving our monthly gardener Michael a bit of lip (well it sounded like a bit of lip and the next thing he was sweeping down the lane under the washing line - usually her job).  She has her way with people our Albertina.

She also had a bit of a moan to me that all Nic's washing was in our washing basket.  Patricia her daughter works for Nic's commune on a Monday and clearly Nic's washing was part of Patricia's job and not hers.  "Jen, the washing machine at Albion Road, she broke again?" (questioning look over the top of her glasses).  "No Albertina they never bring the dry washing in so there is never place for him to hang out his washing", I reply meekly.  "Well they must make a plan, Nicstix has too much dirty stuff" (not impressed)

I am now ready to leave the house and head off to work laden with boxes and bags.

"OK bye Albertina, if I am not home please put on the alarm and leave at the same time as Michael (the gardener)"

Albertina following me into garage:-

"Oh Jen, I'm very very sorry for this....I was drying the glass and it cracked, in my hand, like this (demonstrating her large hand wrapped in a dish towel in the neck of the champagne glass) and now she is broke" 

Worldly goods, I suppose.  Albertina who I have trusted to care for my boys when they were young but not my new drinking glasses.  

I should have listened to Ellen, I should have just washed my own fancy glasses.

Jenny, Jenny, Jenny!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment