"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 27 November 2013

rambling on again...

This has been a busy year. I know it is not over yet and things are speeding up, weeks are flying by and it is now becoming necessary to use a wall planner calendar for December so that I can keep track.

I have had two nights of little sleep and last night at about 3, instead of coming to the study and switching on lights, I decided to sit at the kitchen table with a cup of tea and a pen and paper. I had read this blog post before going to sleep. I read it a couple of times. It is such a beautiful piece of writing that I thought I would follow Katrina's footsteps and maybe a pen and paper would work for me too. Not to be.

It is weird how I have forgotten how to write, how my handwriting is now a scrawl and my hand gets a cramp.  But it was reassuring sitting at the kitchen counter, filling in my calendar and taking stock of things.

So 55 is where I will be next year (and Kathy, Lesley and Ellen). Things are changing. They always will.  Reading this post made me realise how important it is to live in the moment because we do not know what the future holds. It is important to tell those around you that you love them, to forget about things that happened in the past and try and be more mindful and live in the moment.

My creative juices have all dried up and I moved on to filling in dates on the calendar.  Important ones are Nic’s graduation on 16 December – I am so proud of him and how he has managed to get through these last 3 months after major surgery.  Matthew is coming home on 17 December for Christmas but leaves before New Year.   David and Lucie are heading to Glasgow to spend Christmas and New Year with Lucie’s family.  Gareth and Hayley are difficult to keep up with and have a spate of weddings around the country but will be in Cape Town for Christmas. They are getting a new puppy which also needs to be filled in on the calendar.
  
We will be home and it will be great.

Roll on December but not too excited about what January brings - Nic moving to Pretoria, Matt back in Hong Kong.  February = 55.  55 I am ready for you!!




No comments:

Post a Comment