"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 9 July 2014

odds and sods

Sharing some pictures and things that have made me smile, made me proud, happy, sad but generally just so happy to be alive and apart of this lovely world:-

1. Wonderful morning breakfast

How could I have ever forgotten about Anchovy Toast?  My new best breakfast.  Nothing better after my morning walk than piping hot tea (very weak) and anchovy toast on hot buttered toast (preferably Woolworth's Thick Slice)


2.  Wonderful Thursday entertainment

Special times on Thursday nights with lovely company, an inspiring teacher, times to be quiet and times to chat.  A lot to learn but growing in confidence and pretty proud of my first experiment with coloured pencils


Actually supposed to look like this:-


Maybe I should stick to pencil


3.  Wonderful Sunday entertainment

It has been a long time since I enjoyed a match as much as Sunday's final. Only problem was that although I was shouting for Federer, Djokovic had been my favourite in all other matches (except when he plays Federer).  So for me it was basically a win/win situation and I should not complain, but the passion was not really there.  The last time I remember being glued to every ball of a match was the John McEnroe / Bjorn Bjorn final in 1980, I think.  I remember being the only McEnroe supporter in the rowdy room where we watched and we had to have the SABC break for the news at the most crucial moment.

Did you see this picture?  Boris and Stefan - Wimbledon finalists for 3 consecutive years (1988, 89 and 90) - now the coaches of Djokovic and Federer.  Looking at Boris I wonder if it is the "good life" or a rough life that has made him age like he has.

4.  A Wonderful site to follow - website or Facebook page. 

Everyday there is a new photograph taken by this photographer of ordinary New Yorkers.  He manages to capture their lives in a picture and a written paragraph or two.  It always gets me thinking, it appeals to the voyeur in me and also lets me make up my own stories about the subject in my head. Don't get involved in the comments made though (they can be upsetting).
"We're getting divorced because we love each other, and we both realize that we don't have enough of what the other needs. When we decided to get divorced, I wrote a note with all the things I loved about her, and gave it to her. She got very emotional and started crying. Then three days later, she wrote me a similar note. But here's the thing--- she wrote it on the back of a recycled piece of paper. She wrote it on the back of an advertisement or something. So I called her out on it. And she said: 'I knew you were going to bring that up. If you cared, you wouldn't mind what it was written on.' And I said: 'Well, if you cared, you'd have gotten a fresh piece of paper.'"


I have been thinking about this photograph and story the whole day, the sadness of why he is getting divorced when they still love each other and that whole relationship in the end is rocked because of a piece of paper.  It is pretty deep and the fact that she knew it would upset him before she wrote on it, says the most to me.  I need to know more (I think the "chop" is probably messaging his girlfriend in Miami to say that he is on his way).  Is recycling a reason for divorce?

  
5.  A wonderful thing to do and so many streams around our neighbourhood at the moment


5.  Wonderful insight

Middle son, Nic wrote this very poignant piece.  Tender, funny, strong and honest.  It brought a tear (or six) to my eye.





No comments:

Post a Comment