"let your boat of life be light, packed with only
what you need - a homely home and simple pleasures, someone to love and someone to love you,
enough to eat and enough to wear
and a little more than enough to drink:
for thirst is a dangerous thing"

Wednesday 7 August 2013

there is nothing nicer...

than...
the smell of your kitchen even hours after the french toast has been made
I am going to miss Matt so much and his culinary skills and help in the kitchen.  

than...
a cold and wet day spent flicking channels and watching the cookery channels
Have you seen Tyler Florence?  I watched for the first time on the weekend and am off shopping later today because I have to make his Swedish Meatballs with a lingonberry gravy. Not too sure where I will find lingoberry's (or what they are) but he said blueberry jam will work as well.  Like me, he does not have much concern for measuring ingredients.

than...
that first cup of tea in the morning
Nice cup too.

than...
a perfect soft boiled egg (and toast soldiers with butter)
Never get them right?  Here

than...
starting a book and finishing it in three sittings, a well written memoir which shocked me to the core, which I am not sure whether I enjoyed or not or whether I would recommend it, it has confused me but has stayed with me since finishing it on Sunday



than...
noticing new shoots on a shrub that you cut back so severely you were worried it would never survive
It is cold and wet in Cape Town today.  I ventured out for a short walk this morning and got soaked.  I have had a shower and am now snug and warm...which got me writing this post and thinking of food.  I must start thinking of work and wine too, which got me on to the last "than"

than...
being your own boss, walking in the rain (or better still the sun), meeting new people,  having a full wine warehouse, finally having some money in the business account (and my wallet), eating soft boiled eggs at 11 in the morning...

nothing nicer


No comments:

Post a Comment